1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

troubleshooting plow joystick

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jojoremigio, Jan 4, 2008.

1. jojoremigio

jojoremigio Junior Member
    from N.Y.

I just picked up this plowtruck with a non functioning plow. the solenoid under the hood was just replaced. If you take a heavy gauge wire and jump the two terminals you can get the pump to operate. As it is now, its not. There are four terminals on this new solenoind. One hot from battery(heavy wire), directly across from that is the positive(heavy wire)going to the pump. The other two, one is a ground(thin 20 gauge) and the last one is a, I believe a remote(thin 20 gauge). The previous owner jumped the two heavy leads to get the motor to pull the plow off the ground for me to transport it. So the motor is good. There is juice going to the remote. Not getting any action. Suggestions? Thanks!

2. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Need more infor on the plow, what brand? what kind (older, newer?). I do believe that the solenoid should only need the ground wire, no remote.

3. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

What you are calling the remote terminal is the wire that comes from the plow that activates the pump when a plow control is activated.

4. JamesZ71

JamesZ71 Junior Member
    from ohio

plow help

I'm not sure what solenoid u have but i know mine don't have a ground the metal mounting bracket is the ground so maybe the wire u have for the ground goes some where else

5. jojoremigio

from N.Y.

broken plow

sorry for lack of information.

one of the thinner leads(20 gauge wire RED) goes to a switched 12V source. I verified that via meter. The other thin lead(black) goes to the base of the joystick within the cab. It reads ground when on the meter. The truck is an 89. I can only best guess that it is just as old. Brand, the frame, plow and pump were all sand blasted and then repainted. No indication of what it is.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

6. SnowMP

SnowMP Junior Member

My solenoid has two wires also (other than power) and they are for opening and closing the solenoid when movement is called for. Not that this helps.

7. jojoremigio

from N.Y.

plow brand

Just found out its an 8' fisher plow.

8. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

my buddy had the same problem with his solenoid on his fisher setup. he brought the plow in and they rewired his wires to and from the solenod. now the plow works great. he had to jump the solenoid to get the plow up. check the ground and check your wires. it is a wiring issue tho.

9. jojoremigio

from N.Y.

wiring solved

The solenoid was wired wrong. The battery and the motor leads were crossed and the trigger from the joystick was a negative trigger. The solenoid I had, aftermarket from local autostore, was a positive trigger. I had to convert the neg. to a positive trigger via a relay. Long story short, I got it to work with no trips to the auto store. I happen to have a bosch relay handy with a plug in wiring harness.

Thanks for all you input!