1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

troubleshooting help

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by lownrangr, Jan 20, 2007.

1. So this is the first problem I've had with this thing so I can't complain. Last night I get everything hitched up and the plow raised fine, but every so ofter when I go to raise it I'll get a bunch of clicking sounds when I hit the 'UP' button. After a few more tries to raise it, it'll go. The plow will do this every so often. Is this a bad solonoid? Or something else. Thanks, and like I said I've never had any issues with this before. It's a Predator ST80

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Weak Solenoid
    Weak battery
    Corrosion on the terminals

Do all the lights dim when you raise the blade?

3. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

Just a SWAG, but check your electrical connections. I'd start with the large power wires first. Make sure you also check the ground wires.

4. ok, I'll give the cables a quick go over. I'll look at all those tomorrow, it's bitterly cold outside now and were safe from more falling snow so I can afford to look later. The lights don't dim anymore than usual so I don't think that is the issue here, plus the problem didn't get any worse 4 or 5 hours into plowing. Thanks for the ideas, I will for sure let you know what I find.

5. MaineMike

MaineMike Member
    from Maine

Crikey!
    Now you've made me paranoid.

I have a 22 plow on my Toyota 4Runner. Installed just a few months back. No problems so far but when I raise the plow my headlights do go dim for a second or so.

With the light harness attached for night plowing, I've noticed that my headlights dim in and out and my heater inside the car fluctuates alongside the dimming lights. As the lights dim, so does the heater blow. When the lights brighten, my heater is at full blast.
    This seems to happen more when I'm using the downpressure though, and not so much with "regular" plowing.

Is this a problem or is it normal?

PS - my 4Runner is a '99 and I've never had to change the battery, not sure if that figures into anything or not.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

When you're in DP are you normally at low RPMs. The truck's not producing as much amperage. If your batteries 7 years old I'd consider replacing it. Your vehicle dosn't have the highest amp output alt. to begin with. a 850 cca battery could be an improvement. The real key is watch your amp gage. If the voltage drops drastically when using the plow, it's battery time.

7. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

I put a 1000 cca battery in at the beginning of the season and at night the lights still go dim. Raising and down pressure seem to do it. Amp meter in truck reads fine.

I think I will get a bigger alternator soon and that will help. Until then, I put the battery on a trickle charge every couple of runs I make. I Have 40 resis and two comm. Battery is never low according to meter on the charger but I figure it can't hurt any.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Pearcelawn;
    where is your 12volt power supply connected?

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

We have 3 Sno-way plows and they all dim the lights. All good bateries, all good alternators. We just got used to the dim lights as most of the time it is just momentary.

10. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

Directly to the batt. Why? Something fishy?

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No just curious.

12. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

Cool.xysport Just making sure.

13. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Dimming lights is not a realy concern unless they drop way dim. Any plow and any electric system will always have a high draw - expect some dimming.

However, with the clicking.... I had that once - I was low on fluid.

14. wow this thread got big....anywho, I checked out all the power cables so I might try a new soloniod. Question is, does sno-way take a special one or can a soloniod from an auto parts store fit? thanks.

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Buy one from a snowplow dealer. They are differant then the auto type.

16. ok. The place I went to had solonoids for all makes except Sno-Way! Just my luck. Sno-Way's are different than other plows, aren't they?

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No you can use a western unimount/ultramount, fisher, boss, new style meyer or blizzard 4 pole 12v MS.

18. Sweet!!! Thanks :)

19. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Some of the higher quality auto parts stores sell a heavy duty solenoid too. The ones I have gotten work fine for a snowplow and also a winch so they are heavy duty.

20. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Well seen trouble shooting going on so I am going to ask.Basher friend just got a new 26 series installed and he noticed that his right plow light is real dim and the other is bright.What causes this?

Thanks
    RCGM
    Brad