1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Troubleshooting help needed

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by jdh, Nov 29, 2008.

1. jdh

jdh Junior Member
    from 21666

Here's the scenario:

I have a 29 DP with wireless that has been barely used. I went to test today and the plow works perfectly....when the truck is not running. Start the truck and nothing works...the most I get is an occasional lurch but nothing more. I cleaned the ground at the truck and at the pump with no change. With the truck turned off, every touch of the remote gets a flawless response from the plow....I'm stumped. Any ideas?

2. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

I would check for a couple of things.

All connections (power harness, battery connections, harness connectors) are clean and tight.

Is this a wired or wireless control?

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

This just started? The plow worked before? Where is it grounded? Have you added anything new to the truck? Have you replaced the battery since the last time you used it.

4. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

That plow is junk, get with Basher he will sell you a brand new one, your be happy

5. jdh

jdh Junior Member
    from 21666

All connections were checked and work properly when truck is not running.

It is a wireless control with fresh batteries.

6. jdh

jdh Junior Member
    from 21666

1) yes, the plow worked normally last year although we never got enough snow to use it.

2) power harness is connected directly to the battery post for ground. Ground on plow is factory-position on the motor.

3) nothing new added

4) no new battery...nothing on truck has been changed since putting the plow up last spring.

Some more background:

Bought the plow used, but obviously barely used, 2 winters ago. I purchased all truck-side parts (mount, harnesses, and wireless remote) brand new from Basher. Everything worked fine until today. Truck is 2001 Dodge 2500 V10.

Thanks in advance for ideas.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Have you changed the batteries? Don't know if it will work or what the truck running/not running has to do with it.

8. jdh

jdh Junior Member
    from 21666

In the remote? Yes.

I can't for the life of me figure out why the things works perfectly with the truck not running, but not at all with the engine fired up. Although I haven't made any changes to the truck and it has no aftermarket electronics, could the truck itself be creating some RF interference? Seems far-fetched to me, but the electrical connections for the plow are pristine. I even hooked up jumper cables from the ground on the pump to the truck (in addition to the existing connections) just to test the ground and still nothing. Just doesn't makes sense....

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Does the motor have to be running or just the switch key on?

10. jdh

jdh Junior Member
    from 21666

Keyswitch on has no impact...plow works.

Motor running and plow does not work.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

With the motor running check to see if you have power to plow.

12. jdh

jdh Junior Member
    from 21666

I know its there sporadically at the very least since the plow will occasionally jump, but I will put a meter on it and see what happens. With the weather and the workweek coming up, it may be a few days before I can get to it, but I'll check back with you when I do.

Thanks for the input.

13. tamlyn four sea

tamlyn four sea Junior Member
    from midwest

try truning the head lights on and see if that works my plow needs head lights on to work

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Say what??:confused:

15. SGC08

SGC08 Member

Maybe you just can't see it working with the lights off?:jester:

16. garleness

garleness Member
    from ontario

Test the battery maybe its on its way out. not enough juice to run the truck and the plow. The only thing that would cause interferance would be an altenator if there are no aftermarket devices. but i would through a load test on the battery. might have voltage just no amperage. start with the basics usually these problems are dumb. if you thought the altenator had RF interference you could unplug the connetors at the altenator.(just to see).

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

roflmfao:D

18. jdh

jdh Junior Member
    from 21666

Finally got some to time to get back to this. The issues remain the same: plow works with truck off, doesn't work (although will sporadically jump for an instant) with truck running. I put a meter on it at the solenoid and I get 12volts with truck off and 14 volts with truck running. I also disconnected the alternator and started the truck, yet the plow still doesn't respond.

One new thing I noticed today: right after connecting the power today, the plow wouldn't work at all. It did this last week as well, but I didn't think much of it at the time, thinking maybe my connections were dirty from sitting all off-season. Anyway, I had a couple of different things to do, so I left everything connected for a couple of hours and when I came back, the plow operated perfectly so long as the truck was off. This has me wondering if maybe there is a problem with the wireless receiver?

At any rate, someone suggested maybe the battery wasn't producing enough amperage while the truck is running, so I'm off to have it load tested. After that, I'll be all ears to any suggestions.

Thanks.

19. jdh

jdh Junior Member
    from 21666

It never fails. Went to the service station to have the battery tested (it was fine) and the tech asked me to operate the plow. Worked normally with the truck off and then I said it: "Now watch, it won't work at all with the truck running." Turned on the truck and hit the button...and of course the darn thing worked perfectly. Worked fine the rest of the day.

So now I'm in that uncomfortable place where I'm relieved it's working, but wondering when the problem will surface again.

I know it doesn't make any sense, but it almost seems as though it needs to be hooked to power for quite some time before it works normally. There's absolutely no logical reason for it, but it sure seems to be the case. Almost as if it needs to charge up or re-program itself. Weird.

Any ideas out there?

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I think it's in the power supply, double check all your connections