1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Troubleshoot me!

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by leforrest, Oct 13, 2011.

1. leforrest

leforrest Junior Member

First off, Hello All. New guy here. Ive been lurking here and there but Im finally getting around to posting.

Here's my dilemna.

I have a 98 F250. I bought an indentical parts truck for 800 with an insta-act minute mount plow on it. I have swapped the mounts over and I am onto the wiring.

I have never seen a wiring nightmare like this. The fisher plows I have had in the past had isolation modules and good plugs. This thing has inline relays and spliced plugs going to what appears to be a, "flat trailer" style plug for lights and some cheesy 1x1" plug for the controls.
    I took the wiring out of the old truck and have it on my trailer bench testing everything so I can make sure everything is on the up and up. When I put power to the system, and hit the joystick, all I get is the motor to respond. The other day I put power to it and the blade kicked to the right, but as of yet I have not been able to get it to go up or left. The motor just spins.
    Also, I can't verify the solenoid I have. it has 2 main lugs, with 2 smaller lugs, but it resembles more of a starter solenoid than the usual plow solenoids I have had.

I have looked at wiring diagrams and tried a couple different ways of wiring the solenoid, but can't get this thing to move at all.

Any input? How often, or better yet, what the potential of the solenoids on the insta-act being bad?
  2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

If its an insta act it shouldn't have relays, it should have the iso port. The Relay's were for the SEHP 2 plug Setups. Does your plow have 2 or 3 plugs on it? Any pictures you can provide?
  3. leforrest

leforrest Junior Member

It looks to me like the previous owner butchered the harness to make it work. The only fisher OEM plug is the main power running to the pump.

The lights and controls are rewired with inline relays.

2011-10-13 13.21.49.gif

2011-10-13 13.21.29.gif

2011-10-13 13.22.31.gif
  4. leforrest

leforrest Junior Member

To add. Not this matters THAT much, but previous owner said it worked fine last year before parked. I know talk is cheap, but this guy really came across as a pretty stand up guy.
  5. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Looks like something 2Cor would whip up in his basement.

That Solenoid is a better one than the older style ones they used to use. Other than that, I'd shop for some new harness/iso module and save yourself the trouble. Who knows how many headaches you'll have throughout the season.
  7. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

$800 for a plow and mounts, and truck, is a good price. Spend the money now for the correct wiring and save yourself some major headaches. It is still fairly warm out side to wire it up right. When it acts up it will be much colder out and probably snowing like crazy!
  8. leforrest

leforrest Junior Member

I have an ISO module and wiring for a 99 Powerstroke I had. It was originally for a 3 wire plow though. I guess I could convert this plow to a 3 wire eh? It's a 4 port ISO module.
    On the ISO module I have I am missing the "1" port harness which I think is the control harness.On top of that I will need a repair harness for the plow side as it's butchered.... :-(

For now I just wanted to see what I could get to work and what it may need if I couldn't.

The deal was good 06. Scrap alone right now would pay me 700 for the truck.
  9. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Ofcourse the # 1 harness is the most expensive. Converting the plow to 3 wire is about 150 with new parts.And is easy dont buy a repair end for the plow if u are think of converting it anyway.
  10. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

#26359 is for the solenoid controls and # 28212 the lights.I converted a mm1 two plug to three plug.If you are careful and take your time you shouldn't break the plastic grommet in the lights.I got both harness from ebay.
  11. Not sure you are correct there. I purchased a non iso insta act EZV last year off of a 2000 F350 and the wiring harness looked just like the one he is showing us. I converted it from a 2 plug to a 3 plug using my existing 4 port iso and a new 7 pin harness.

Just saying.....
  12. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

X2 you are so far ahead the extra cost would be well worth not having to find a electrical gremlin in the middle of a storm.
  13. leforrest

leforrest Junior Member

Thanks guys. To make a long story short, I decided to utilize the ISO module I have and order the control harness that I am missing.
    I also decided to look for another set of heagear with the proper wiring. The blade isn't in the best shape on current gear I have so I figured Id flip it and put some money towards something wired right and has a better blade.

I do have somone local to me selling an 8' set of headgear. It seems to be the same plow I have except it's 8'.
    My next question is will my F250 Light Duty handle an 8 foot plow? Looking at the gear he has, it looks significantly taller and he has a pretty heavy cutting edge on it. It looks like it could easily be another 150lbs over what I have. Im concerned about the front end of the truck as the F250LD's are not truly 3/4 ton trucks.

Does anyone have any input on that?
    Again, thanks for helping the new guy!
  14. leforrest

leforrest Junior Member

Hey all. I want to close this thread out with my issue being solved.

After probing around I located a bad ground to the coils in the harness. The harness was pinched at some point shearing the wire. After supplying ground, the unit works flawlessly!

800 for truck and plow
    700 in scrap for truck minus plow and some spare parts! :mechanic:

New wiring harness will be in today for ISO module. Everything should be on the up and up this week.
    Thanks everyone for your help.