1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

trouble with Whelen Hide away

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Quality Lawn, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Quality Lawn

Quality Lawn Junior Member

I had my power box mounted up under the hood and ruined the box. So I got a new one and installed it and nothing worked. If i plug the lights directly into the power box should the flash when I turn them on? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  2. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

Yes the strobes should work regardless if they are on the extension cables or plugged directly into the power supply. Does the power supply have power to it? Where is it mounted now?
  3. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Check your main power fuse on the wire going to the power supply and the ones on the power supply. Also check to make sure your ground is still connected and not corroded. Also, are you sure its not your switch that isnt bad? Make sure that the switch is sending it 12 volts to turn on the power supply. The only other thing it could be is that all your strobe tubes are cracked.
  4. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Get the box out from under the hood. Check the connectors, fuses, and switch and also your ground. If you have power to the box then it's your connectors.
  5. Quality Lawn

I am moving the new box inside the cab. I put the volt meter to it and it shows 12v on the switch as well as the power coming in. I checked the ground and it is not corroded and I still am not getting anything. When I turn the unit on it makes the humming noise but nothing flashes. I have a friend that gave me a couple of new strobe tubes to try. They aren't whelen, they are a knock off brand he got off of ebay but I still get nothing. Can i use my meter to check the output on the box to see if maybe i have a bad box?
  6. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

If it's Humming that's not good....you may want to contact Whelen it may be a bad unit.
  7. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

you may have some of the wires swapped around too
  8. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

your connections are full of crap......clean them all out and replace ONE AT A TIME.....i bet you get 1 or 2 working...

clean bulb to wire...and wire to extension..

they humm when they are shorted out at the bulb wires...

9. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

You mean he can't put his tounge on the wires and flip the switch? :D
  10. Quality Lawn

I tried unplugging all of the bulbs then plugged the bulbs directly to the unit and still nothing.
  11. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

huh......yeah if you have a known good bulb and still a no go the next thing i would look at is a good ground.....power is no good with crappy ground...

if still no go then time to send the box out.....i know a place to get great deals on used boxes if your interested. e-mail me
  12. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

what kind of connections are the strobe tubes?

amp or deutch style?

if they are amp all of your connections are most likely corroded. amp connectors are not waterproof. so the box being mounted under the hood would have coroded the power supply inturn coroding the connections to it which are amp connectors. they will most likely need to be replaced.

check them out if they are silver/grey they are ok. if they are white or black they are corroded.

also if you can post some picks of the connections and bulbs that would greatly aid in solving your problem.

also make sure that you power from the battery to the power supply is not corroded. if it is that could be your problem. check your amperage also. make sure they power supply is getting enouph amps to run.
  13. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

The first thing I would check is the power wire from the BATTERY and the ground at the Battery. Had a heck of a time getting mine to work and called Wheelen tec support and they made it very clear that both the power feed and ground needs to come from the battery. When I wired it up like he told me it worked fine.

Good Luck Mike
  14. Quality Lawn

Thanks for all the tips. I am going to try and work on them again this weekend. I will let you know how it goes.