1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trouble with my 1994 dodge ram 2500

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by DodgeRam1996, Oct 30, 2011.

1. DodgeRam1996

DodgeRam1996 Senior Member

1994 dodge ram 2500 5.9l gas engine

Would not start, checked for spark, had none, replaced ignition coil. Started up right away, the truck ran for about 20 minutes then the engine died and would not start until the engine cooled (2 hours later). Ran it again for 20 minutes and the engine died again...and would not start again (no matter how long I waited)

Have another (new) coil in hand (haven't tried starting the truck with it yet) but I dont think that is the problem (the new coil was/is not mounted to the coil bracket, if that matters).

If I'm burning out coils, what would cause that? Also, what would cause the truck to run for 20 minutes and then cut off?

2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Sounds like a crank sensor. They are spiratic like that. Probably just started by chance when you replaced the coil. Dodges are well known fot them. You will lose spark if it's bad, and you will regain it periodically. They are behind the distr mounted to the back center of the engine where the trans bolts up. Not sure on bolt size, prob a 13 or 15, and also an allen inside of the hex. Somewhat of a pia, you can get it from the top, but if you attack it from underneath with a couple long extensions it's not that bad.

3. DodgeRam1996

I haven't been able to get to the crank sensor yet, but I've been inspecting the wiring, there is a lot of corrosion in my battery and ground lines, could that cause the coil to overheat after about 15 minutes?

How can I fight the corrosion, I think I need to go for a high reving drive to pump some power through the lines and maybe change the ground wire?

4. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

After reading this, I think you should just take it to a shop. You have not a clue what you're doing.

The Gentleman above your last post just gave you the answer to your problems, and mount your coil up so you quit burning them up and replace the crank position sensor.

5. DodgeRam1996

Well I'm glad I didn't give up because it was the corrosion, after cleaning up a little, the truck starts and runs fine.

Thanks for the advice, I couldn't have fixed it without you, LOL.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  6. DodgeRam1996

Thanks for the informative reply. I have 4 dodge trucks/van and until recently ZERO were on the road, now I have 2 running and 2 more to go. My van (V6) is acting similarly (has no corrosion on the wires), I will check crank sensor, I appreciate your help.