1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trouble with mounting plow

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by paacman, Jan 11, 2007.

1. paacman

paacman Junior Member
    from PA

Perhaps I can get some direction. I have a C plow going on 3 years old, dealer installed, works great when mounted. Problem - I never can get it mounted on the truck in "minutes" it usually takes an hour or so of back breaking wiggling pushing lifting etc.... and requires a jack to do this, this does not seem like a quick mount to me, done this since day one, dealer said to get a couple of guys and lift it up, does not seem like I should have to do that. The first time I tried to mount it pushing it up the driveway with the truck I punched a quarter size hole in the house with the blade, wife was not happy about it to say the least. I can get it close to where I can move the locking bar into place 1/2 to 1.5 inches away but the plow then slides after that requiring me to us a jack. Any suggestions on how to make it easier?

> Mounted on HD F150
  2. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Wish I could help ya out but I konw what ya mean. A buddy of mine had a Hiniker on his company truck. I have helped him in years past tryin to get the thing to go on easily. Eventually we would get the plow on far enough that we could move the truck and plow together and hit a fence post or somethin like that to get it to slide the rest of the way on.
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

When you remove your plow does it slide right off?

Do you have the same weight in the box as you did when you took it off???
    To much weight in the box and the forks will be higher than when you took it off.
    Less weight and they will be lower.

Now, when you remove your plow .

With the Plow still in the air lower the jack stand then lower the plow. There should be some weight on the jack stand when it is on the ground. Then make sure to push on the foot peddle and retract the lift ram. unplug, release the locking pins. back away. did the plow hang up on the forks?
    Yes. then find a leveler spot, check the fork mount is it at the right hight.

To put it on. pull up to the plow and make sure you are lined up with the forks about 3 to 4 inches from the pockets. don't creep up give it a little squirt and watch for the plow to move a little. It should be on, but if your drive is smooth (slippery) and you are not lined up you will be chasing it all over your drive.
  4. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

I would say your really doing something wrong.
    it takes me 30 - 40 seconds to remove or install my plow.

Does your light mount tower lean forward, or is it straight up and down when you remove the plow?

The first time I installed my plow my light tower was leaning forward, and I didnt know any better. It took my and 2 friends to get it on the truck picking it up and pushing it on.

Then I relized the problem. when taking it off the light tower would move forward causing the forks to bind in the plow receiver's. the fix is what snofarmer said.

When removing: Raise your plow all the way up lower or jack stand. I pin mine in the 9th or 10th hole which I have marked.
    lower the blade (make sure you leave it in float mode with the orange light on the controller)
    On the front of the lift ram there are 2 brackets that hang out, stand on those until the cylinder go all the way down and bottoms out.
    Now unlatch the pins lever, unplug the 2 plugs and back out.

If the light tower falls forward you didn't puch the cylinder all the way down.

If your light tower is leaning forward pull up to the plow hook up your plugs.
    Put the controller in float mode by pushing your joy stick to the drop position. (the orange light will come on)

climb up onto the plow frame, grab the light tower, stand on the lift ram tabs (that stick out)
    While pushing down on the ram with your foot, push the light tower back into the up poistion, until the ram bottoms out.
    then you should be able to drive the forks into the plow. if not your jack stand isnt in the right stop or your not lined up.

If your parking in grass or on dirt, find something to place under your jack stand, so your stand doesnt sink.

If you need more help just ask

Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  5. paacman

paacman Junior Member
    from PA

Thanks Guys....

Thanks, sounds like some real exp. here. I will try some of the tips in the posts. Either way I'll post a response when I get a chance.

CURLERIC Member
    from NY

i had the same problem bustin my ass with floor jack and solved it by setting blade down with a couple of pieces of 4x4 chocks to make the receivers sit a bit higher. now it goes right on.
  7. Proscapez LLC

That is because when you didnt push your cylinder down, before you removed your blade.
    It's easy to see when you didn't, when your backing out watch the lights tower it will fall forward towards the blade.
  8. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

it seems to me the easiest way to mount a hiniker is to drive into the forks and push the plow into a brick wall by our shop and then it goes on easy
  9. ramsport1500

ramsport1500 Member

Light tower stop

Hey guys, Hiniker has a new stop for the light tower that is real simple, take a look at a new Homeowners plow and you will see what I mean. They have the same setup for all plows for around 12 dollars or so. You can get it from your local Hiniker dealer.
    I have already ordered mine. You just have to push the cylinder down and slide the toothed arm up while gently holding up the light tower, and you can park the plow in many different sites and levels, and still dirve up and into it
  10. dhendrickson

dhendrickson Junior Member

Push On

I know what you mean, I have had similar problems until I found a tree. I usually drop my plow right in front of the tree and when I need to hook up I just get it lined up and push it on, then I connect the plugins and put the pins in as far as they will go. Then backup and put the pins in the rest of the way and lock the arm, and you are ready to go.
  11. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

The post about lowering the post is accurate. only thing I can add is be sure that you lube your mount brackets.. makes a world of differrence.
  12. ramsport1500

ramsport1500 Member

I will get back with you with a part number from Hiniker for a Light tower stop. We are a Hiniker dealer and I have already installed it on 3 plows already.Including mine. It works great, you will spent around 15 dollars and will save you many headaches.
    You will have my reply and part number Friday
  13. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I use a tree next to the shop, or the back wall of the shop! It seems to be the only way to make them slide right on to the mounting forks!
  14. davidw221

davidw221 Junior Member
    from 46112

Never will buy Hiniker again

I have a fight with my Hiniker 7-1/2 ft straight blade, everytime I try to put my blade, my son and I fight to get it on. If it wasn't for a 18" tree to drive the plow onto the forks, I would be toast. This is a poor design, all my buddies with Boss blades say hey it only takes about 5 minutes, well folks, it take my son and I almost 45 minutes everytime I want to get the damn blade on, in my world we say this is stupid! IF anyone here is looking to purchase a Hiniker blade don't do it, go with another brand, there are plenty out there, Oh by the way yesterday, two welds broke on my blade, causing me to be out of service for 4 hours at the plow shop getting it fixed. Remember weld areas are suppose to be stronger! not weaker, again, bad workmenship with Hiniker. Am I upset with this product, heck yes I am, I'm getting tired, and I wish I never heard of Hiniker. Also, the dealer, MID- States Trucks of Fishers, Indiana never gave me the time to show the proper way to put the plow on or off, they just wanted their money! and changed me $36 bucks for the weld job, not a bad price, but for 5 minutes of welding, what do you expect.
    I hate to act so negitive, but I've had this plow for several years now, and the mounting issue is getting very old.
  15. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The only times mine is hard to put on is if you forgot to push on the foot pedal to retract the lift cylinder before you removed the plow.

The other reason is if you do not have the jack stand set properly so the plow does not fall down after you remove it..

A another thing that will effect mounting your plow is the weight you have in your truck.
    If you have more weight in the box then you did when you removed your plow the forks will be higher making hook up tough.

Welds? Is the crack right next to the weld or does it run down the center of the weld.
    It should be right next to it.

I hace found Hiniker to be a good plows there tech suport is also good.
    Don't call the shop you got the plow from call or E-mail Hiniker directily they will help you out.

welcome to plowsite......davidw221
  16. Proscapez LLC

I can teach you how to remove and install your plow in under a minute.
    Maybe, I'll make a video of the proper way to do it.
  17. ramsport1500

ramsport1500 Member

Hiniker Part Number for the Stop Plate Kit is 25011986
    You won't be sorry you spent up to 20 dollars
  18. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

No problems here. I put my plow on a cart so that I can push it around and out of the way. Don't know about your plows but mine came with a step by step picture instructions labeled on the back of the plow blade. Thought it was a joke at first but it was very helpful.:jester: I just push the blade forward wiggle it to help line things up and swing the locking arm. Takes more time to dig the plow out of the garage then putting it on.
  19. Paul 139

Paul 139 Junior Member

I'm on my second Hiniker plow (traded the first one in after the warranty expired) and the only time I've had problems getting it on was operator error when I forgot to push that middle lift cylinder down. Then it can make getting it back on very difficult. QMVA is exactly right - follow the directions right on the back side of the blade when you're taking it off and you'll have way less headaches when it comes time to put it back on.
  20. sweetlou48096

sweetlou48096 Junior Member
    from 48096

A dope I was

" A M U S T" you absolutely have to step down on the lift cyclinder FIRST when taking
    the HINIKER plow off. If you dont the the light tower will fall forward and then it takes help
    putting the plow back on. It happened to me the very first time and I made darn sure it hasn't happened again.
    I am 60 years old, and even I can take the plow off in less than 45 SECONDS and put
    it back on in the same time............try it.