1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trouble with Meyer E-47 (need Help)

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Randy26933, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Randy26933

Randy26933 Junior Member

I have a Meyer E-47 that would make a better boat anchor than plow pump, but...

We replaced the motor on this unit after the original bench tested DOA. The original slowed and eventually stopped working. The new motor worked great for about 30 minutes when it too, slowed and then stopped working. It was very hot to the touch, When we installed the new motor we cleaned all of the terminals and coated them with di-electric grease. The battery is new, also. (Both of them, F-250 Diesel). Parts store will replace the motor, but is there another problem I should be looking at?

Just kidding, this thing would make a lousy boat anchor, too.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  2. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

I'd think maybe you just got a bad motor, but maybe the pump is seizing up and overloading the motor. But you did say it worked great up until the motor quit. I assume it's been flushed and new fluid added recently.

3. Randy26933

Randy26933 Junior Member

Yes. took out the "blue milk" and flushed the pump. Cleaned the screens. Topped it off and added a little bit of dry gas.

4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

More than likely a ground issue.

Problem with meyer motors is the the ground has to travel down the motor and through the aluminum housing. Not the best route since when you put steel and aluminum next to each other you get corrosion.

5. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

I had one of these perform the same way, I sent it down to Smith Bros, Chuck found a bad crossover valve and a few other issues, I had him rebuild it, and no issues to date.

6. artic429

artic429 Senior Member

In my opinion id be leaning toward the grounding issues.

7. Randy26933

Randy26933 Junior Member

04SD nailed it. I pulled the motor this morning ( it is 8' F and snowing, so why not?). When this motor was refurbed one of the wires for the brushes had been pinched between the cap and housing. It ran until it finally burnt off.

Crash935 I heeded your advice and cleaned the seat on the housing really well and put a thin coating of di-electric grease on there before I re-assembled to prevent corrosion.

I have spent a lot of time browsing this site in the last few days and have picked up a lot of great tips. I definitely will be promoting the site to my friends. Thanks again.