1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trouble with headlights and controller

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by NickColetti, Feb 27, 2013.

1. NickColetti

NickColetti Member

I have the newer style (2009) Boss Poly V 8'2" and right after my first pass tonight, the controller and the headlights both lost power. Im thinking its a ground somewhere but im not very familiar with how to trouble shoot this. Does this sound like something you guys have heard of?!

I only found one 10a fuse connected on the harness in the cab under the steering wheel. Its checks out fine. I did not see any other fuses other than those black box fuse deals under the hood tied in with those 2 bigger red and black wires that connect to the battery. I dont know how to check those.

Last time i went out i smashed my bumper... my fault for being a dummy. Result of it was that i ended up plowing that time and part of the time before for free so i could pay for the repairs. Now i run into this... im really unhappy with plowing this year! :mad:

Feel bad for the guy i plow for... he was already short handed by one truck and this left him with his load and mine for the night. :(

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Simple really as long as you're friendly with a testlight. You lost either the main power or ground for the plow harness.

Use a testlight and check for 12v on the black wire right at the controller plug. Have it, yes or no?

Again with the testlight check the brown wire at the controller plug for GROUND. Have it, yes or no?

If there's no 12v on the black wire continue on with the testlight. Check for 12v on the small red wire that should come off the positive battery terminal but check it after the 10amp inline fuse. Doing so will also test the fuse.

Didn't have ground on the brown wire? It should be connected at the battery negative terminal. Make sure it's there and shows good ground.

Finally, test the black/red wire under the dash (keyed ignition source, so key on) for 12v after the inline fuse. Should have it.

3. NickColetti

NickColetti Member

I ended up finding someone to look at it and it turned out to be a corroded wire going into the replay under the hood. Pretty simple fix from the sounds of it. I bet it was harder to find the problem than it was to fix it.

Thanks for the reply, B & B. I may have paniced a little by posting this thread... i was thinking that if someone could not get it in i was going to tinker with it. Hopefully this thread will help someone down the line...