1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trouble with Daytime Running Lights

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by youngbuck007, Nov 16, 2004.

1. youngbuck007

youngbuck007 Junior Member

I have a 1999 K1500 (old boxy type style) with Daytime Running Lights. I recently installed a Truck-Lite 80900 kit that is compatible with the DRL's for my plow. I even got the wire harnesses so that I do not have to cut or splice any wires, just plug and go. The manual says that the plugs are keyed so it is impossible to have a plug from the harness in the wrong plug on the headlights, basically idiot proof. There is only one ground wire which I grounded tight.
    The problem is that my drivers side high and low beams are both on all the time whenever the switch is set to the truck lights, and the same whenever the switch is set to the plow lights, but they are both very dim like a bad ground or something. The passenger side works fine and only the high or low beam comes on when it is supposed to and is very bright.
    Has anybody encountered anything like this before or have any ideas? I'm pullin my hair out here! Thanks!
  2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

It does sound like a ground issue, is there a gound wire for each side? I know the plugs are "idiot proof", but check them any way, i have plugged them in wrong myself and still dont know how i did it.
  3. youngbuck007

youngbuck007 Junior Member

Yeah there is only one ground wire on the passenger side, none on the drivers side. It only shows one on the wiring diagram as well and I know it is grounded good, but I swear it does seem like a grounding problem. I will check the plugs again and let you know. Thanks.
  4. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

There is a socket relay near emergency brake that control DRL light in that body style truck. Pull it out and bend one of the coil tabs flat against relay case bottom and plug it back in socket and they will never run again.