1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trouble Stacking

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Tommy9789, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Tommy9789

Tommy9789 Junior Member

I have a Western Snow Plow and during the last snow I could not get the blade to raise toward the end of the pile to stack the snow. This last snow was wet but the blade would not come up until I backed away from the pile.
    Any Ideas what may be wrong, it wasn't that heavy?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Check the fluid level. If it's full and not leaking at the cylinders, then you just had too much load on the plow. Like you said, that snow was awful wet and heavy.

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Very common I can;t get my blade to raise in wet stuff too- not uncommon. The thing is technique- you want to be raising the blade BEFORE you stop, start raising it a couple of feet before the pile. The truck momentum will work for you.

You'll save wear and tear this way no matter what kind of snow it is.

4. dj&sonplowing

dj&sonplowing Member

just me, you got it, the right move there,, actually the plow will pick its sef up if you do it right, there will be slack in the chain,,, think im loosing the touch here, i havent plowed in a month grrrrrrrrrrrr:cool:

5. SwiftSnow&Salt

SwiftSnow&Salt Member

hey tommy....

YES it was that heavy... if'n your snow was anything like we got in Chicago West Suburbs (Lombard/Elmhurst area) that snow was BRUTALLY HEAVY.

6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Its hard to stack wet snow high, powder you can slam and it will shoot 10' and over the pile, wet you really can only try to ramp it. Otherwise try it with the blade angled and take 1/2 swipes at the pile, the angle helps put it higher than when straight.