1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trouble Shooting Pump

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Schlappi, Oct 17, 2001.

1. Schlappi

Schlappi Junior Member

The pump on my Western Plow will only raise the blade several inches before stopping, if I wait a few minutes it will raise more then stop again, ect....It angles ok, maybe a little slow but ok. I pulled the pump and turned the allen screw first 1/4 turn and then 1/2 turn total. It seemed to help but very little.

I have cleaned all the connector and replaced the pump screen and fluid.

Can anyone help me.
  2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

How old is your pump? Two things come to mind: worn pump or a tired motor.

Sounds similar to what my Monarch was doing before I had the pump overhauled. It's a gear type pump, I imagine yours is similar. When the gear teeth get worn, the pressure that the pump produces drops off. With 600+ pounds of plow to lift, it can get noticeably s-l-o-w. Side to side isn't as big a problem, because it's easier to swing the blade than lift it. (If you don't believe THAT, just try lifting your plow by hand, then try pushing on one corner! ;) )

Mine wasn't quite as bad as yours sounds - you'd notice the blade being slow to go up after about 30 minutes of plowing.

A good dealer should have the ability to check your pump's pressure and overhaul it as required.
  3. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Hey are you talking about the pump under the hood
    (mounted on engine )
    or do you have the electric/hydralic Ismark thats
    mounted on the front of the truck ?
  4. Schlappi

Schlappi Junior Member

Thanks for the help everyone. Replaced the electic motor today and everything work great now:cool:
  5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Make sure that you change the fluid annually. This includes changing the fluid in the cylinders. Not sure if Western pumps have any filters but they should be changed as well. I also like to change the couplers every season. Some say this is uneccesary but I feel it is easier to do as maintanence then in the middle of winter.