1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

trouble shooting newer western plows

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by djagusch, Aug 23, 2013.

1. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

Looking at western vplows. Dealer is mostly a snoway/boss guy but can/will see westerns. Says the hardest thing about westerns is trouble shooting them and I couldn't do most of it in the field. You need the testers etc western dealers have. Any truth to this or is it a line of bs?

I like the chain lift/trip edge set up, and mount system. My snowdogg is a good plow just the mount sits pretty low.

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like a load of crap to me. I have had Western's for years and done very little to them. Last year I had a solenoid go and besides that I can't remember the last time I fixed one.

3. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Sounds like BS to me!

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well....did you guys know that they are going to a multiplex system? Have you guys worked on a multiplex system before?

5. djagusch

from mn

Yes we are talking multiplex or their flex fleet set ups.

6. dieselss

Well to totally answer your question bout special test boxs and such.....I'm hoping michnick chimes in. He would know all about that. I would have to say yes there is special test equipment for the new plows

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Multiplex isn't anything modern to DD, they've been using it on their plows for over five years now. And while it's been proven to be reliable for the most part, outside of checking for broken pins or wires on the control wires you're not going to field diagnose it further or "hotwire" around it to get through the night. So you either carry spare controllers and plow modules, or you go to plan B.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Multiplex is a cool word.....

My DD plow had it several years ago. But a BOSS cable for the lighting. What the heck was that about?

Why wouldn't you buy a Boss or Snoway? Get rid of the stupid chain lift and trip edges are available.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

So is Pulse Width Modulation.:nod::nod:

We use special tools and testers all the time, makes diagnosis faster. However; there is nothing you are going to attempt that you can't test with a multimeter, test light and the proper knowledge.

Now if you want to repair the circuit boards/multiplex units you need specialized equipment that you're more likely to find in a computer repair shop than the average plow dealership.

As Mike said

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah. Most mechanics have no idea what it is. Of course, it's fairly new to the automotive world. Only a couple decades

11. dieselss

Well multiplex is old as well. But if your a Gm mechanic. Or only worked on the few cars they put it on then you'd have no clue

12. djagusch

from mn

I own a snoway and boss plow also. Snoway has issues, downpressure is nice but not totally needed. Boss is a decent set up and the dxt solves the trip edge request. The mount seems higher so with my lower chevy front ends its desired.