1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trouble mounting 8ft Western Pro Plow Ultramount

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Howlinjohn, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Howlinjohn

Howlinjohn Junior Member

I picked up a barely used #60390 Western 8ft Pro Plow with Ultra Mount. I installed the plow mount to the truck (08 Tundra), and truckside electronics and just tried to mount the plow to the truck. I can't seem to get the plow horns to lie level with the ground in order to meet up with the receivers brackets. I cant pull the plow frame back so the plow horns are level. Shoes are in the down position. Seems like something in binding.
    When I bought the plow, it was still mounted to the sellers truck and he placed it on my utility trailer with the plow in the lifted position. Is the fact that the plow is still in the lifted position causing my problem here? I tried disconnecting the chains, moving the shoes to up position, jacking the frame, but I still can't get the frame to move back so that the plow horns are level.
    Do I need to jack the blade up in order to get the plow frame in the right position in order to mount the plow?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ok. Here's a q? Can you move the headgear foward towards the plow and then back?

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Pull the headgear forward, loosen the chain a couple of links. Then jack up just under the pivot bar. Push the plow in to receivers, then rotate the hooks, they should grab the PiN and pull the plow in. don't be afraid to man handle it

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  4. Howlinjohn

Howlinjohn Junior Member

Yes, but I can only move the headgear back and forth about 5-6 inches.

5. dieselss

Ok. So if you push on the rear on the headgear it will not come into contact with the back of the moldboard correct? There's nothing holding it back,,,it just won't go correct? If you pull the chain off will it lay flat or no?

6. Howlinjohn

Howlinjohn Junior Member

Earlier today, I disconnected the chains, jacked the frame up enough the get a rubber wheel chock under pivot frame. Tried to push/ rock the frame, but the plow horns were still angled up about 15 degrees.

I'll try jacking it directly under the pivot bar with an SUV jack that has good lift height.

Should I leave the chains disconnected, or reconnect them and loosen them a few links as you suggest?

7. Howlinjohn

Howlinjohn Junior Member

If I push on the rear of the headgear it will not contact moldboard, stays about 4-5 inches away. Removed chains. It won't lie flat, even with my friend helping. Even tried disconnecting the lift ram, no more travel. Reconnected the ram so it wouldn't be damaged.

8. dieselss

Ok. Might be the pivot pins are siezed. I did a fix for this in the western fourm. Might have to try the search function for it

9. Howlinjohn

Howlinjohn Junior Member

I got it mounted! Thanks for the replies. Hooked chains back up a few links loose. I jacked the center of the blade way up with suv jack until plow horns were level. Drove truck into mount, pulled pins, and rotated stand hooks- easy as hell. All rams works great. Still have to mess with light harnesses, but the plow's installed.
    I was intimidated by the size and weight of the Pro Plow compared to the Suburbanite I used through last winter. Plowin' with the big boys now!