1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trouble lowering my plow

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Xmas1, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Xmas1

Xmas1 Junior Member

I'm working on an ST-7.5 w/ E-60 pump. The system's been sitting in my gaarage for about four years so I decided to install it on my truck. The plow angles left/right with no issues, up/down with no issues until I lift it all the way up to the stops. Once it's lifted all the way I can't lower it with the touchpad.
    I found two ways to lower it; put a jack under it and loosen the "A" valve until oil comes out. put it back together and it's fine again. The other way is to simply jack it up to relieve the weight of the plow then lower it with the touchpad.
    I'm thinking a bad valve or maybe too much pressure out of the pump but I'm not sure.

I changed the fluid and cleaned the valve and the coil does get magnetized with voltage.

Any help would be great.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you have good magnetism at the A coil, replace the A valve. And if the coil is the square style replace it too with the round style while you're at it. The square coils are weak and very problematic.

3. danielboone

danielboone Junior Member

Instead of starting a new post I thought I would fire up an old one that is the same problem I am having. Like the OP, I can't lower the plow with my E-57H pump. Every thing else (left, right & lift works) fine. As soon as I hit the lower button I get the lightning bolt error on the Electo-Touch. I believe that is called the overload. From reading and studying the troubleshooting flow chart in the manual it appears I need to replace the A-Valve. Please let me know if you disagree. When I connected the wiring today I noticed a very slight electrical popping sound. That is when I first noticed this problem. Do you think this zapped the A-Valve or coil? I did have some dialectic grease around the connectors, but I didn't think this would hurt anything. Just want to know if I did something wrong when connecting.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If your connections are good then it's good probability the A coil is faulty. If you disconnect the wire on it and hit it with a fused jumper wire it will probably still work (watch your toes) but it's high resistance will illuminate the overload light on the touchpad anyway- they are very very sensitive to any excessive resistance from a dying coil.

5. danielboone

What the heck are you doing up at this time of the night? :) From the owners manual it says

"Using a screwdriver or other small tool to check for magnetism of the solenoid coils “A”, “B”, “C”. Place the tool on the nut securing the coil and have an assistant operate the switch. You should feel strong magnetic attraction."

Would this still work in my case? Put the end of screw driver against the nut and have someone try to lower the plow with the touchpad. You should feel a pretty noticeable magnetic pull?

What you are saying to do is to to disconnect the wire, connect jumper cables to the battery, hit the connector on the A-Valve with the positive..and stand back...right?

Thank you B&B

I am going back to bed. See you tomorrow.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Night? 5am is the begining of a new day. You're a few hours behind. :D

You can check it for mag with a screwdriver and then use the 12V jumper wire trick (yes disconnect the A coil wire from the harness first) and check it for mag again but either way you'll likely find it needs an A coil if all your connections are good.

A coils die quite frequently in comparison to the other coils since they're hot for much longer periods, of course because you're in float allot more than you're raising or angling. So they don't live a long life and replacement is very common.

7. Dubl0Vert

Dubl0Vert Senior Member

Good to know that about A coils... I noticed last year that I can't lower my plow without the engine running...either battery is starting to go or A-coil.....think I'll grab an extra before we get to far into the season.

Thanks!

8. danielboone

I pulled the A coil off and went to the Meyer dealer. I brought the coil along just to make sure they gave me the correct one. The service manager decided to test it. It tested good! He started to think I had a wiring issue somewhere. I got back home put the coil back on and it suddenly started working again! That doesn't exactly give me a great feeling since I don't know what happened. I just hope it doesn't happen again, but at the worst possible time. Thanks for your help B&B. I definitely learned a few things

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That's due to you disturbing it. The coil receives it's ground through the mounting stud/nut. Removing/reinstalling the nut improves the ground connection. It's still a wise idea to replace the coil though for reasons I described previously. The touch pads are very very sensitive to excessive resistance as the coils age. It's been their Achilles Heel from day one.

10. danielboone

I will take your advice and buy one. Maybe just get one and keep it handy until this one acts up again. Now that I know how easy they are to replace, if i was to have this issue in the field I could have these swapped out in a couple minutes.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ask many guys that run Meyer and if they don't keep a complete spare pump unit on board usually at least keep extra coils and valves in the glove compartment. They're easy to repair in the field so why not. :waving:

12. Michaelzz28

Michaelzz28 Member
    from Ohio

got my spares in the truck tool box never needed them yet Lucky I guess the pump is 10-12 years old and has seen 3 trucks since I bought it new but other than changing fluid and keeping the grounds clean I have never had a problem with it

:mechanic:

13. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Subscribed