1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trouble installing new shocks/extenders

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Zrxpilot, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Zrxpilot

Zrxpilot Member

Just finished installing Timbrens, gusset plates, new shocks with extenders and tightening up the torsion bars. Not a big job but not something you want to do when you are in a hurry.

Had some trouble putting the new shocks in the front. The old shocks I could easily compress by hand. These new ones (KYB Monomax) I could not and installing with the extenders was a royal pita.

Hope I put the shock extender on the right way. I installed them in the direction that moved the base of the shock upwards. Made sense that you would do this to recover the shock distance you lost by raising the front of the truck but ive been known to do some dumb **** in the past.

The replacement extenders looked like a 1.5" stroke gain comparing to the existing stock lower shock mounts.

Ended up standing the shock on end under the frame of my truck and compressing the shock by lowering the truck over the shock with the floor jack. You have then about 5 seconds to get the shock in its location and shove the bolt in. Took a couple tries. Not sure I recommend this method.

There has to be a better way or I put the extenders on the wrong way.
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I will say the kyb shocks are a PITA to compress. I have done a few at work and I did a double front kit on my tk. That was fun. So yea they are not fun to compress by any means