1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trouble getting my plow on and off unless it is on perfectly level ground

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Loni1113, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Loni1113

Loni1113 Senior Member
    from Utah

I have a brand new X-Blade 8 ft. with a minute mount 2 system. The main problem is pulling the release handle and rocking the mount back is a real pain in me ars. Is it because it is new and that is why it is so stiff and tough to get on and off? Will it always be like this or will it get better with more use?

2. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

It will get better as you get used to the ins and outs. The best way to do it is to lower the leg then push the headset back toward the hood of the truck. That will help set the pin into the highest possible hole on the leg. Once you get the leg set walk out to the front of the blade and use your left hand to push back and rock the headset while using your right hand to pull the release lever and you should be all set.

THE BIGGEST (and most often overlooked by new users) TRICK TO MAKING THIS AS EASY AS POSSIBLE IS TO MAKE SURE THAT THE LIFT PISTON IS FULLY COLLAPSED PRIOR TO ATTEMPTING TO TAKE THE BLADE OFF. if the piston isn't collapsed you cant get the headset to push back.

Good luck and enjoy!!!

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

In addition, put a couple of 2x4's, pallet, blocks or similar under the moldboard, even on concrete - but especially on dirt or gravel. It'll keep the plow from sinking into the ground and keep it more level (the key to easy off/on). On concrete, it'll give the chain a little extra slack, but still be at the right height while plowing. On gravel/hardpack, I'll also put a 6" square piece of 1" board under the jackstand. A jackstand sunk into the ground is especially aggravating.:realmad::realmad:

4. Loni1113

Loni1113 Senior Member
    from Utah

I think I just need to take it off and put it back on a few more times to really get the hang of it

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Who did the install?

6. scitown

scitown Senior Member

First you beat it with a hammer. Then you kick it. Then use a grubhoe (pick axe looking thing) to pry it. Then hit it with a hammer again...Oh I misread, you dont have a mm1. Just pull the lever. LOL

7. stillen

stillen Senior Member

lubricate those springs/pins.......... and puch forward on the head gear while releasing.....

8. PLOW_GUY

PLOW_GUY Junior Member

It could be that an 8 foot Xblade doesn't belong on a tundra that clears for a 7 1/2 SD. But hey what do i know?

9. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

You might want to put even a small 1x piece of wood under the leg, it is very possible the leg is just in between holes, you'll get just a slight more leverage when moving your headgear back making it easier to disengage the pins fully.

Also, your push plates maybe mis adjusted. This can occur if the tech who installed it didn't tighten the bolts in the right order. Not common, but it does happen. Check the gap on both sides of the push plate once your "in the hole" so to speak.

10. csx5197

csx5197 Senior Member

I agree with everyone else, also you want to make sure that the truck is about the same height as it was when you removed the plow. I would agree that it being new, just kinda stiff, also should loosen up after you use it and it gets banged around a few times. But back to the weight thing, when you get that salter on the back, make sure you take the plow off with the same weight in the back. It will save you a lot of time. Believe me, I have a box of salt/sand mixture and usually if I go fill it up I'll put the plow on then take it off after I'm done just to keep the levels about the same. I also store mine on concrete, so not much give.

11. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

Yeah, I'll have to agree with plow guy. Did some checking and you should be running a Homesteader on that truck. I agree the stainless looks damn good on that sweet truck but you're seriously over loaded! Did you install it yourself? I can't believe a fisher dealer would do something like this!
    It looks cool and all but I think in the long run this is going to be a big problem for you and your truck.

12. Loni1113

Loni1113 Senior Member
    from Utah

so let me say it again, My truck is a DX model. It can handle the HD series plow. I am overloaded, no doubt about it, by 150 pounds. My truck is not an SR5 or the Limited.

13. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

What makes you say it can handle it, if you know it's overloaded? Did you do something to beef up the suspension?

14. Loni1113

Loni1113 Senior Member
    from Utah

I have timbrens on the way, even though I don't know if they will do anything because I also have a 3 inch leveling kit already on it.

15. RepoMan207

from Maine

yeah...ah 7 1/2 HD. Your pushing it with 8 HD to say the least. I would do it too no doubt, just add a bit more ballast. I am not giving you crap over it....But on a brand new truck?!?! You don't want to ever go to the dealer with that plow on. Waranty would be out the door faster then you bought the truck. Let me know how it handles when we get some white stuff. Where you able to adjust the plow a bit to get it to come off alittle easier?

16. Loni1113

Loni1113 Senior Member
    from Utah

well after researching a lot. Most places said the extra 150 lbs for the blade would be a big deal unless I can ballast out the rear end. I have a huge tailgate salter form buyers, model TGS06, that holds almost 1000 lbs of salt. I think that will help when I get it filled up.

17. RepoMan207

from Maine

yeah, that will do it!

18. csx5197

csx5197 Senior Member

Not trying to bash you or anything, but I'm partially curious why you didn't get an actual 3/4 ton. Since you do have a good sized blade on the front and are going to have some weight in the back. I noticed you keep mentioning the DX model, is like the 3/4 ton Tundra? I know that they don't really apply to the 1/2 ton segment, but aren't quite 3/4 ton either. So just was curious. thanks

19. RepoMan207

from Maine

Cause those Toyotas are REAL fun to drive. I had one for a rental a few weeks ago, All I gatta say is....SWEET!
    xysport :nod:

20. RepoMan207

from Maine

I think all equals out to is a 1500 HD or a F-150 HD the 6 lug version????