1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trouble after sandblasting and paint

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by BostonRamGuy, Jun 16, 2014.

1. BostonRamGuy

BostonRamGuy Member

Hi all, hope you are all enjoying the spring. I have an issue and im looking for some assistance. Hooked my minute mount and moved it just fine into the yard for a sandblaster to come by and strip it before repainting. Everything came out great and I was able to repaint it. Now when im all finished, the bad boy won't move. I get the clicking from the flow motor itself but no movement. Could the sandblaster somehow gotten sand into a place it shouldnt be?? All electrical tests and works fine. Im thinking perhaps sand got into thr rams? Any help or solutions is most appreciated. Thanks in advance!
  2. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

More likely a bad ground after painting.
  3. BostonRamGuy

BostonRamGuy Member

Sadly, not the issue. Sanded down and reconnected all electrical connections. Also found sand in the reservoir and coating the selinoids, so im in the process of changing fluid and cleaning filters and the selinoids. Not sure how the hell the guy I hired managed to spray sand in every nook and cranny!
  4. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

You would probably be better off disassembling the pump and cleaning it out

I've never had a fisher apart so I can't help you there
  5. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

check and grease and clean out the plow plugs truck side and plow side may have gotten some sand in them
  6. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I guess you have never sandblasted before. It is not the sandblasters fault. You should have disassembled all the components on the plow. Uprights, all mounts, trip mechanism, cylinders, pump, etc. This would have eliminated the extra work and aggravation you have now and possible internal hydraulic cylinder damage. It just takes one piece of blasting media to get into the orifices and score a cylinder and mess up the poppets, solenoids, yada yada. I never heard of someone sandblasting an assembled plow.
  7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Probably got sand all up in the motor
  8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Leaving the hydraulics intact was a bad decision. The entire unit should have been disassembled (trip edge, springs, blade guides, A-frame, etc) before sand blasting. You need to at least remove the hydraulics, lights and control/power wires. Can't blame the blaster if you were responsible for the prep work. Now strip it down to nuts and bolts, clean all the silica out of EVERYWHERE, lubricate and reassemble. If you don't clean all the grit out the unit will wear very quickly at every motion point.
  9. BostonRamGuy

BostonRamGuy Member

Thanks to everyone for the help. Turns out after taking everything apart the solenoid was bad but the plow got a nice tune up anyways. I'm learning as I go.