1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ServiceOnSite, Jan 2, 2014.

1. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

I have to very careful about how a word this as i was just threatened with a lawsuit and had to change something. And this is a very very long story that i cant post all the info on.
    This site gets trolled very regularly by maintenance companies. I dont work for them any more, and i never will again. However i was " associated" with a company who is doing business with them. They were/are trying to get more work from them and were basically told that "we are under the impression that you dont like working for us."
    I have to leave out alot of details here as not to get sued but, you can draw your own conclusion as to how that conversation ended and how bright the future is for doing work for that maintenance company.
    So if you have ever posted about problems you had with a national, or do work for them and had mentioned something about them and you no longer do work with them this is probably the reason why. They troll internet sites for mention of their name and punish the contractor who is/was having a bad experience with them.
  2. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

What you're saying doesn't really surprise me much at all.

Years ago, I was told by someone on another (non snow related) web forum that my customers would be able to read every word I said buy just typing my company name into google. Well, I thought that was hogwash, until I did just that... typed my own name, and found the web forum that I had been using under my companies name with. Stopped posting there immediately.

With technology the way it is now, I wouldn't be surprised if someone on this board knew your mother's maiden name as well, or at least had a way of figuring it out.

We're not alone anymore, Gilligan.
  3. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Really unbelievable that Big Brother - or any one of my Brothers is watching! …with ease! Hell, now, you have to hire people to clear your name off the web…it's nuts.
  4. ServiceOnSite

This whole thing stinks real bad. You cant even talk in a online forum without someone watching over your shoulder.
  5. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I cordially invite every national parasite company involved with snow removal extortion to bite me.

All of them.
  6. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

I won't work for any national management companies because of all the bad stuff I hear about them on L. site and on here.
  7. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Everyone that has posted so far on this thread has the right idea. Now if the other million or so plow contractors would conform, we could run these nationals out. Make things more profitable for the rest of us.
  8. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

SIMA and the ASCA should use their national influence to advocate for their destruction. But in the mean time make sure you tell every one of your counterparts not to work for them. They can be eradicated with a grassroots effort as well.
  9. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

If it would stop the phone from ringing, I would risk a lawsuit!
  10. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

The best way to shield yourself from anyone searching a forum and using what you posted against you is not to have your company name/logo as your username or in your sig, blackout license plates, don't post pictures of your vehicles with company info on it, etc....... Also when posting about a jobsite be very vague when it comes to location's, etc....

I see Plow-Site as a place to pick the brains of others in the industry, get an idea of what the industry is like in other areas of the country (and Canada) in a very casual setting where you shouldn't have to worry about something blowing up in you face.

We're all proud of our equipment, the work we do with it and like to share/showboat, we're guys after all. But we also open the door for anyone to look at what we do and say.
  11. CreativeEarth

CreativeEarth Junior Member

its not libel or slander if its the truth! But if you still want to work with them your probably shouldn't complain about them on public sites. I agree the nationals suck! I just dealt with IIM and got out before I got to far into it with them. I have lots of residentials that pay more than them and on time with a lot less liability.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  12. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

These national providers have no clue what it takes to service these locations. Let them go out and buy there own iron, find people to operate them it etc...Until local contractors realize they are ruining the snow business for all us they will continue to drive down prices for the entire industry.
  13. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

14. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

As far as I can tell, if they let you go, they are doing you a favor. Remember what Mother told you, you are known by the company you keep.
  15. Midatlanticpowe

Midatlanticpowe Junior Member

You would actually think that some of these PMs that troll the sites would listen to what contractors are complaining about and want to correct. Essentially both parties are shooting for the same goal. Have there lots cleared correctly so there is no backlash from property owner or slip and fall customer. You would think it should be a win/win situation
  16. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I'm pretty sure some nationals have used the site to find me as a sub. It works both ways.
  17. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Don't be fooled, these nationals know exactly what their doing. And I'm sure it's working out just fine for them.payup
  18. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

First problem is you should be using a screen name not a business name.

Second point and this sort of lessens the need to follow the first point.

You are getting hosed over why are you upset that they do not want to hire you any more?
  19. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

It is win win situation.

The large corporations win because they have stream lined and greatly lowered costs by using national maintenance company's.

The national maintenance company's win by being middle men, not owning equipment or the costs associated with them. Skim off a large chuck of the money the big corps are paying for prop maintenance. They then farm out work to low ballers and green horns that do not know what the job is costing them for half of what the job use to go for.

It is a lose lose.

Lose for the customers that shop at these stores because they no longer have clean safe lots to walk through.

Lose for the professional business owner by the low ballers ruining local pricing.
  20. ServiceOnSite

However i was " associated" with a company who is doing business with them.

Im not working for the national.

Originally Posted by CreativeEarth View Post
    its not libel or slander if its the truth!

But if what i say causes a loss of income for another contractor i could be on the hook then.