1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tripping Mechanisms

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Treker, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Treker

Treker Junior Member
    from Kansas

Hello all. Got a quick question on blades. I am looking for a blade to mount to my Bobcat 753. I see there are different mechanisms for the trip protection. Either the whole moldboard, or just the cutting edge trips. What are the pros and cons of each type. I also have seen some that pivot and other that are fixed. What are the pros and cons here. Is there any other "features" that I should be on the lookout for with a Skid Steer Blade?
    Thanks
    Brent

2. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

my only experience is with a full trip blade. i've heard that the trip edge blades scrap better in packed down, heavy, icey snow, but if you hit an immoveable object that is above the height of the cutting edge, you take that shock right to your truck. a full trip blade will trip on the short and the tall immovable objects.

i added a couple of extra trip springs to my full trip blade to increase the scraping performance without sacricifing the tripping ability. i'm sure some people will swear to one design over the other, but i'm very happy with my full trip blade - especially since adding the additional springs.

3. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

I have sold all types of snow plows...big & tall, short and small. By far I recommend the trip edge plow. It is a much smoother tripping action than a full moldboard trip. As a former snow plow rep, we did much testing on the differences between the two tripping devices and the trip edge way out performed the full moldboard trip. At 20mph, sitting in the truck, you could barely feel it trip as we passed over a manhole cover. The full moldboard trip was pretty violent. Yes, you do need to be careful to not hit something above the trip hinge on a trip edge, but that is your job as an operator to know where your plowing and the obstructions that could cause problems.

Hope that helps!!

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I have both, Fisher RD (trip edge) and I have Boss V (full trip blade). I like the trip edge better. I've found the Boss while the blade trips it does not trip enuff to unhook from what it hit (read that as it still brought the truck to as sudden stop). I do driveways i've never hit anything the trip edge did not lift the blade over.

5. bakerc8

bakerc8 Senior Member

if you get a full trip theres a potential that it whont trip on thigs that are small and it will just stop your truck and runes your trany but a trip will trip every time and it will hop every thing! but ive used both and a like a trip better wont rune your trany as much!

6. bakerc8

bakerc8 Senior Member

if your getting a new plow or picking with one to use use the fisher cant go wrong with fisher yellow

7. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

A trip-edge is NOT easier on your tranny than a trip blade!!! I guess baker just bounces around from thread to thread dropping this gem of knowledge. :confused:

Another benefit of having a trip-edge over a trip-blade is that if it does trip, you don't lose all the snow you're pushing. When a trip-blade trips, it tosses the snow everywhere.

To my understanding the trip-edge is pretty much universally considered better than the trip-blade. The only real benefit of a trip-blade is that they're cheaper.

8. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Trekker, lots of bad previous info here, read at your own risk.
    I have used and owned both full trip, and trip edge. They BOTH work well when set up properly.
    Seems preference on these sites is usually regional. East coast is Fisher country so of course trip edge is better. Midwest is Western country with Boss making a big name for them selves as well, so full trips are the norm.
    I have not personally run a trip edge plow on a skid but do use caution if you do. Trip edge on a skid, with a solid mount could be a major problem if your applying any down pressure. No way in heck a trip edge will trip properly with a couple thousand pounds riding on that edge. Not uncommon to see guys running with the front end in the air trying to scrap up hard pack. A full moldboard trip will still fold with down pressure.
    I run a 10' full mold board trip with a solid mount on a skid and have zero problems with that plow. It works extremely well, and unlike the other posts above, have had zero problems with that plow operating very efficiently.