1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Triple Treat

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by fercho1, Mar 4, 2011.

1. fercho1

fercho1 Member

Anyone heard or used this stuff before? From what I read it comes from SWP out of NY and there is a guy here in Jersey who sells the same stuff under adifferent name any one?
  2. duane1982

duane1982 Member

I'd like to know the same thing.
  3. rcn971

rcn971 Senior Member

Greenways Plus in the Plainfield, NJ area.
  4. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I used to use it in bulk, it is salt treated with mag chloride & an organic. Stopped using it for two reasons first we had a lot of electrical issues on our flatbed, then found out mag is highly corrosive to copper, second reason is I was talking with another supplier, he had designed the mix for SWP when he used to sell mag, he asked if I was having a problem with the liquid leaching out (which I was), said it was because SWP cut his recommended ratio of organics (think of organics as the glue that holds the mix together) down to next to nothing to save money, which was why we had the leaching issue. In bags younmay not see the leaching issue.
    Last season was the first I quite a few using un-treated salt, during the cold spells I missed the treated salt. Ideally we will get a small(couple hundred gallon)tank & keep some liquid calcium to treat our salt with during the really low temps. Getting a delivery (5000 gal) isn't in the budget currently as the new guy only delivers full tanker loads, but I can p/u whatever I want & he is only about 1/2 hr away, in have the large tank (8000 gal) but shelling out the 4k for a truck load, then a sprayer, etc
  5. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Why not just post the info out in public ?
  6. Harold Finch

Harold Finch Member

Cellulose fibers

I believe you hit the nail on the head. I will add one thing to what you said. Its not only that SWP/GWP/triple treat cut the "organics", its that it never contained a true organic in the first place. They use what is technically a chemical organic but it is "organic chemistry"- not a plant derived organic. Therefore it does not contain cellulose fibers. Without those its adhesion qualities are weak. Thus the reason why you were having leaching problems, it wont keep the mgcl where you want it.

You're right about mgcl being the most corrosive on wire harnesses, also the most destructive on concrete products.

Try a product called IB5050 to treat your rock salt.
  7. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Hmmmm, IB5050, almost sounds like a product known as Ice Ban.
  8. todddude

todddude Junior Member

We have been using Cal & Organic componds (OBPE) to apply to salt for years. I won't get into the "brand issue" but it is thick, dark brown and is alot less expensive than the "name brands". I have found the ratio of organics has to be at least 35% (35/65) to stay on the salt well. 50/50 is great but it is SUPER THICK and I think it pumps & applies better cut just a little (40/60). Never have been able to get much more than 6 gal per ton to stay on the salt, any more just ran out. Might have been lack of fines in the salt. The 40/60 ratio blends quickly & evenly with no run out.

I use the 7/93 ratio for direct application to paved surfaces. We get the Calcium direct via rail car & Organics come in a trailer load. We control the ratio into the tanks so I never have to worry about the "middle man" cutting the mixture with cheaper brine or messing with the organic ratios. As long as you know the science behind the products the "brand" doesn't become an issue. Best to find a supplier you can trust & stands behing the product. We have many happy customers saving lots of money!

I agree....IB50/50 & IB7/93 sound alot like the Ice Ban product line. If it isn't you may want to do a little research before you get in a mess of trouble with the old patent wars! Just sayin' :)
  9. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Interesting, funny how a certain manufacturer of another overpriced, organic by-product swears one must go with 8 gal per ton.

I'm less than you are Todd, and very happy with the results.
  10. todddude

todddude Junior Member

Yea absolutely! I have gotten down to 4 gpt with not a bit of run out, then started going back up. On average I think we are between 5 & 6 gpt. Results are great!
  11. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I haven't had time or $$$ to get the calcium set up, the supplier I have setup only delivers tanker truck loads, but I can pick up whatever I want about 1/2 hr away. He will custom blend whatever ratio. I was out at his place talking to him for a hour or two, when I left my brain hurt from getting so much info, all quality, veifible as well. He has been doing this for a long time. It was refreshing to find a supplier to find a supplier that actually know his stuff. The last guy trying seek me bagged ice melt couldn't even tell me the ingredients in the bag or the difference between the products he was selling. It is sad that sales people dont know their products they sell, it seems to be across the board here, from Equipment, to trucks, to control products, etc., not just one dealer or supplier either.