1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

trip springs

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ned5485, Feb 21, 2007.

1. ned5485

ned5485 Member

This is my first season with my new(used) plow. On my 6th 0r 7th lot, I found out what the trip springs are for. I hit a 8x4 piece of plywood that ws apparently frozen to the ground. There were about four or five of them on the lot. I guess they were covering pot holes? I had never seen this lot before.

Anyway, the blade seemed to be tripping easier each time I hit one. I only hit each one about 2 or 3 times, and after the first board, I was hitting them as slow as possible. Slow enough that I was just stretching the springs as the the blade would bend an inch or 2. But then on the next lot the blade was bending forward whenever I would push a big pile. And now it seems to really easy to pull down on it. When I pull on it it doesn't take a lot of strength to get it to move 4-5".

Did I just stretch out the springs? They are pretty old.(I assume) Before I got to use it, it didn't matter how hard I tried pulling on it I could not get the springs to budge. I installed new eye bolts at the beginning of the season. I might have over tightened them? There is only about 1/2 to 1 inch between the nut and blade. Do I need new springs? (And obviously not tighten so much.)

Maybe the springs were rusted together. Then the board broke them free. Maybe this is what is supposed to be happening?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The best thing to do is replace all the spring's as it sound's like they've lost most of their tension.Snow plow trip springs are just like any other spring,they'll get weak and lose their tension as they age.Since you replaced the eye bolt's already, doing the spring swap will be much easier as you won't have to fight with any rusty bolt's.

3. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I think you may need to adjust the one's you have.

4. ned5485

ned5485 Member

There is only about an inch left for adjusting

5. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

i run mine as long as i can but there only $10-20 each..so if you have a week with no snow thats the time to get her done.. before they brake at 3:00am you wish you had done it !!!!!!!!!

6. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I had the same problem, but mine would trip but wouldn't come back up when i was going forward. I had to back up and then the blade would go back to normal. I replaced the springs and bolts. I went out last weekend to push back some piles and they seemed to work ok.

7. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

tired springs

what kind of plow is it?they might just be tired or maybe when you hit the 4 bye it broke the stops on your plow and the trip springs are not holding their pressure, is the blade tilted back further than normal?

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Adjust them where they just start to separate the coils. If you don't have much adjustment on them left, you may have to replace the pivot pins at the end of the season. If you have more questions don't hesitate to ask,we are here for your questions.