1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trip springs, trip to easy

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Northman, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

Is there a way to adjust meyer trip springs? I have a plow with only 2 springs and about half the size springs of what is on my northman plow with 4 springs. Can I buy a higher tension spring for the meyer? or adjust the one on it?

2. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

loosen the lower nut on the eyebolt holding the spring to the moldboard and the tighten the nut above until you have the desired tension, retighten the lower nut.

3. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

That's all there is to it. Just tighten the spring to get more tension? Tried to loosen the lower nut today. But couldnt get it loose. I guess I will wait till its nicer out and spray lube them down. Whats the big idea of meyer using big metric nuts on spring bolt. I used a 24mm, I think, getting freggin old cant remember 2 hours ago jeez.

4. ibelee

ibelee Senior Member

Trip Springs

Please keep in mind that the trip springs and the number of them are plow specific. A Meyer 2 spring plow should be tightened only 4 nut turns past the point of separation. If you can not loosten the nuts with a wrench, the nuts and eyebolts should be replaced. After time and stress, every spring becomes loose. After 4 turns of the nut from separation you are seeing a 3/16" or more seaparation, the springs should be replaced.

5. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

Are you saying that after 4 nut turns, I should see a gap in each of the spring coils a little? Thanks for your time and help.

6. ibelee

ibelee Senior Member

Trip Springs

No.
    After you see the springs separate, you should turn the nut 4 more times.
    Again, watch the separation.

7. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

Sorry if I am a little lost here. Never had to do this with the northman. I adjust till spring separates, then back it back off 4 turns to close it back up? That how I understood it this time.

8. ljbev

ljbev Senior Member

anti-sieze

after you get those nuts loose if you do put some anti-sieze on the threads...makes it easier for next time & make sure you lock the nuts on against the other

9. Kentuckydiesel

Kentuckydiesel Senior Member

No, you need to adjust until the springs start to seperate, then go 4 extra turns (even more tension).

BTW, a buddy of mine (Philip Miesner) saw your plow and cherokee on ebay. He's really interested. Said he sent you an e-mail about coming to look at it but you hadn't e-mailed him back yet. He was the high bidder but it didn't meet reserve. Is it still for sale?

-Phillip

10. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

Yep still for sale, I sent him a email back. Told him to give me a cash offer, but havent heard from him since. I told him that I might keep the northman plow for a back up, because I'm not just going to give it away for nothing. That northman plow is twice the plow of my meyer plow. Just cant find northman dealers in the area anymore, so I had to settle. Let him know I emailed him and thanks for info on springs.

11. Kentuckydiesel

Kentuckydiesel Senior Member

I'll let him know. No problem on the springs. -Phillip

12. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

Hints

Today i tried to adjust the springs. But I could only get the lower nut to turn. I used a impact set on highest torgue setting but could not budge the top nut on the eye bolt. Should I try and get a cutting torch or just use heat to try and get it apart. Foe heat all I have right now is those little propane torches, do I need more heat from a welding set with torch end? I will replace the set this summer, just dont want to get caught without the plows ready to go. Also there is no washers anywhere under the nuts. I thought there was suppose to be a flat washer and a lock washer used on one end and the other end.

13. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

hey northman yeh get some good heat on em,red hot, then hit em with wd40(be safe now) try to make it suck it up in the threads under nuts,then more heat ,one more wd,then heat then put open end wrench on it and hope it works,be patient not too make the bolt twist out of its shape ,red hot,if not just cut em off and get more.
    if your blade is older you may need a couple stop blocks welded in.depends on if you get enough spring adjustment after new ones on....

also watch lifting your blade up til springs are back in place ,it will fall forward same way as if it were tripping. watch the toes.
    had a northman them are nice,liked the power pack being under hood.
    good luck-snows on the way.

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Eyebolts are cheap, cut those puppies off and replace them. They recommend tightening until you can slip a folded sheet of paper between the coils in the center of the spring.

15. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

New springs and eye bolts

Tell me if I did this right. I bought new springs and eye bolts. I took the springs to where I could slide a folded piece of paper and then tightened the top nut down 4 more turns to widen the separation a little more. Then tightened the bottom nut to secure everything in place. I used anti-seize on the nuts and bolts too. Sound right to you all? Now if we get some snow, maybe I can see if this fixed the to easy tripping problem.

16. sefh

sefh Senior Member

That sounds right to me. still waiting for that SNOW

17. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

Sounds like you did it right, let us know how it works out.

18. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

them little puppies add up if i cut them off everytime i adjust springs i would have to have have a litter of about 37 of them:eek: so heat works well ,your not working with an aircraft here ,that is a coarse thread and they will usually break loose. so for all of the normal pocket guys here try heat first,i like my coins in my pocket the longer i can.payup just my 2 cents.(springs snap usually before eye bolts)

19. ljbev

ljbev Senior Member

Anti-sieze

use anti-sieze when you install and adjust. It's expensive but it works. I stays on your cloths and rags for about 20 washes so the salt and water should have little effect.