1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trip springs binding on lift cylinder pin

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Mopard, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

I noticed right away last night after I had the new 9'2" VXT installed that the trip springs are binding on the bottom pin that holds the lift cylinder in place. Is this normal? I find it hard to believe Boss wouldn't have left at least 1/4" between so they didn't bind ... the pin is actually bowing the springs.

I took pics but can't seem to load them here this time for some reason ... I'll keep trying.

2. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Here's the pics. And btw, the top & bottom pins holding the lift cylinder in place are the same length.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Many are that way. It's just the manufacturer tolerances in the springs (Boss doesn't make the springs). Won't damage anything or affect tripping.

4. VPRacing

VPRacing Member

I agree with B&B... Nice plow and truck!

5. timberjack

timberjack Member

Mine was the same, i noticed it while i was assembling it, and compared the top/bottom pins, and like you said found they were the same length.

I was thinking about putting in a different pin, but didn't bother, it's a 1 hour round trip to the nearest industrial supply. Like B&B said it doesn't affect operation on my plow.

6. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Thanks for the replies guys, at least I know this goof up is not unique to my VXT. Timberjack you're right, the pin is certainly longer than it needs to be and could be shortened but it won't really help much ... that was also my original idea to fix this. There just isn't enough room in there for the diameter of the springs used. Actually there is plenty of room overall if the holes were positioned better. I would think Boss specifies the springs to be no more than a specific maximum diameter so they will actually fit but these are obviously over that spec. I just got the plow and haven't had time to go over everything yet but it makes me wonder what else quality control let slip by. The paint is already chipped from the pin bind and I haven't even used it yet so it won't take long for the rust to take hold on the entire length of the springs with them constantly rubbing on each other. With the snow we get here the plows definitely get worked relatively hard but I take pride in maintaining them also and it shows in the prices I get for my used equipment ... I detest rust almost as much as poor fit & finish. How many years has this plow been around that they couldn't get this small detail right.
    Anyhow, I know, if this is the worst problem I find with the new Boss then I'll consider myself lucky. It just makes me wonder when they can't dial-in such a simple detail.
    I can't wait to try this thing out now ... and of course there is very little snow in the near forecast. :drinkup:

7. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Just an update: No more binding! The Spring Yoke was modified (a new piece from scratch and a new pin, the proper length, was used. Thanks Boss!

[​IMG][/IMG]

8. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

what this a boss update or yours??? im confused here i have the same spring and pin issue like yours and mines a 2008 model

9. VPRacing

VPRacing Member

Sounds like a Boss update... Look in his review thread about the plow. States something about Boss taking care of it. Good customer service for sure! Looking good!

10. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Boss handled it but my plow was brand new and hadn't been used at the time. A great way to help build a loyal customer base for sure!