1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trip Springs are soft

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ffd478, Apr 15, 2014.

1. ffd478

ffd478 Junior Member

I have a 7.6 foot speed cast plow and towards the end of the season this year the trip edge was nice and firm and would only trip if it hit something. towards the end of the season a heavy snow fall would trip the edge. i know i need to replace the springs but don't know how or if there is any tension on the springs at the rest position. please help

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

There should always be tension on the trip springs. Fisher makes a tool for removing the springs. After tension is off the cutting edge you can remove the pin that attaches the spring to the cutting and the spring assembly will drop down out of it's mount.

3. ffd478

ffd478 Junior Member

where would i get the tool and how do i know what springs to get?? any idea how much the tool is as well as the springs

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Any Fisher dealer should be able to get the tools and tell you part number for springs.

5. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Any one can change them with a big screwdriver and a block of wood there is barely any tension on them. I always laugh when I see that tool.

6. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Could you elaborate a little? I tried to just drop in a spring and it needed compressing about 1.5-2" before I could get the bolt in.
    Thanks

7. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I use a large screwdriver or a really long awl push the spring bar through the slot in the plow incert screwdriver, awl, rod, or anything you have handy through the hole put a block of wood under it for leverage and pry up it doesn't take much effort to install or remove them.