1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

trip spring question

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by raptorman03, Oct 22, 2006.

1. raptorman03

raptorman03 Senior Member

Anyone know how much torqe the trip springs should be tighted to? i have an 8'6 strait if it matters. thanks guys

2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Just enough so you can fit a business card inbetween the coils. That's what the book says.

3. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

RichardNY is correct, however, I have mine adjusted just a little bit tighter, to the point where I can ALMOST get a credit card in between because of the slushy kinda snow we sometimes get. another good way to tell is to raise your plow off the ground, put your weight on it, and see how far you can get it to trip. if it goes more than about 4-5 inches with you pulling on it, then you might want to tighten them a little. That's how I did mine when the recommended adjustment seemed to be tripping too easily. Course, it also depends on how many springs you have and so forth. Hope that helps, Chuck

4. dartman

dartman Junior Member
    from ct

spring tension

When I build a boss plow, I set the spacing to the thickness of a wire tie which is just about what boss says, setting them tighter to suit a customer's needs is ok in my book.