1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

trip spring protector

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by dieselss, Dec 30, 2011.

1. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Just wondering if anyone has put on a trip spring snow deflector on there plows? I have seem a few and was wondering if they really help keep the snow out of the trip spring area?? worth the time a effort to fab something up? or not really?
    thanks ya'll

2. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

You don't necessarily have to fabricate a trip spring cover. Manufacturers do offer them as accessories. Here is a trip spring cover from Blizzard that will bolt right on to your 810.

tripsping_cover.jpg

3. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Had a buddy at a sheet metal shop fab mine up. Cost me all of $10 a piece for mine.

4. dieselss

what do you think of it purple?? does it work? is it worth it?

5. purpleranger519

from Kansas

I would get snow packed in the springs if I was pushing high up on piles or stacking snow and never realized that the amount of snow that would get in there was really adding a lot of extra weight until I dug it all out. It didn't happen a lot but enough that building the spring covers keeps me from having to get out and dig the snow out which saves time. Plus I would imagine the added weight is just harder on the pump which in turn would wear out quicker. I have made 5 or 6 of them and to me, the $50 or $60 that I have in all of them combined is worth it. They do what they are intended to do and thats keep the snow out. They work well and I would recommend them if your having issues with snow getting in the springs.

6. purpleranger519

from Kansas

If I remember correctly the factory cover is about twice the amount that I have in all of mine but, he is correct you don't necessarily have to fabricate a trip spring cover, if you don't mind spending that factory price. My buddy at the sheet metal shop took the measurements and the next evening he had my first one for me. Took him about 25 mins to make. We put the threaded inserts in and then put it on and bolted it down.

7. dieselss

cool thanks for the info purple