1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trip Spring ID and Question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by akr, Sep 10, 2015.

1. akr

akr Junior Member
    from ohio

[​IMG]

I have an 11' J-Shape all steel plow we use for the runway. I have no brand identification on this plow but i was wondering if anyone has ever worked on a trip spring in this style before. The plow is laying back too much and is probably caused by this guy considering all of the mounts and bushings are in good shape and all of the pins have been replaced and are snug. This past winter was rough for us and very hard on this plow. The plow was tripped quite a few times from ice chunks under the snow.

My question is what type of trip spring is this so i can get more information on it offline and if anyone knows, what are the procedures for taking one of these bad boys apart to service/adjust them?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Oh man, we have that same type of plow and that canister spring was shot and cost us a tractor motor

3. akr

akr Junior Member
    from ohio

Do you know the manufacturer of your plow or any tips on the dis assembly of the unit. I do not want to be tearing down this thing with 1k lbs of pressure behind the service plate for example. Anything you have will help.

Thanks

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I'd have to ask the place that did the fab work. They ended up removing that spring and installing 4 trip type springs.

5. akr

akr Junior Member
    from ohio

Thanks. That was going through my head if I am going to need to remove it in the future from a break and build a new trip. The manufacturer I found that looks like it has about the same is VALK mfg. Most plow manufacturers keep with the same trip designs so I am hoping that the return email from them will prove that my plow is now identified.