1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trip spring help!

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by 02powerstroke, Dec 16, 2008.

1. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

I just put a new 8" cuting edge on and with the plow up I can jump on the bottom of the cutting edge and get it to kinda move dose this mean the trip springs are weak? or is this normal because I have a fresh 8" of leverage to use against the springs.

thanks

2. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

just tighten the springs with the adjustment square.

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Thats a new one, "adjustment square?"

There is no adjustment on the fisher springs.

Getting it to "kinda move" with 8 aadditional inches of leveage and what ever you weight probaly isnt to much of a problem. Have to remember that the 8 additonal inches is going to amke a different while plowing by getting the blade to trip easier. Run it and see if it bothers you, if you can live with it then run it.

4. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

I have never heard of adjustments to a Fisher before either. But I have seen plows that are missing springs, its easy to lose one without noticing, especially if you wear the bottom of the plow down too far. There is a trick to prevent that from happening also.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

i have been told by sir members 6" edge as 8" edge is to much on fishers. can cause same problems you have listed.

6. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Whats the trick? Always replace your cutting edge when worn? Or change blade angle? Shoes maybe?

7. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

anything larger than a 6" edge will do that. If the springs are not weak yet they will be, also pay attention to the spring top anchors bending upwards and springs with collapsed coils. Just want you to be aware of areas of concern.

8. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

Big Dave, The trick is for Fishers that have worn down too far and keep cutting into the bottom of the springs. you can prevent them from cutting into the springs buy tripping the edge back and inserting a piece of 1/2" square stock or even rebar into the space that is created on top of the edge at the bottom of the plow. This should then be welded into place so it won't come out when the blade is tripped from plowing. This proves to be very useful for those fisher guys who refuse to run the shoes on their plows. Personally I awalys run the shoes from day one, the guys who say the shoes keep your plow off the ground are the guys that try the shoes after they have already worn down the plow.