1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trip Spring Adjustment

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Duplantisjj, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Duplantisjj

Duplantisjj Senior Member

As some here may know, I just got new Boss a few days ago....I was going over the plow last night in the garage checking for loose bolts and such then I noticed my trip springs were not tight. They were not wobbly but were all a little loose. Shouldn't they be a little tighter. I did a search and found something to the effect of:

"Check the adjustment of the trip springs. They are adjusted properly when the coils of the spring are just starting to seperate. If you can grab a spring and twisted it, or if it feels "loose" and wobbly, tighten the adjustment."

Is this good advise for any plow? If so, then I need to adjust mine a little more. :confused: I think the shop that installed should have done this but I do need to learn how to maintain my own plow.

2. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Your owners manual should say how to adjust them. I'm not familiar with Boss, but on Westerns I think your supposed to be able to slip a piece of paper between the third and fourth coil from the end of the spring when they are adjusted right.
  3. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

streetsurfin' -

Actually with Western plows, a sheet of paper should pass between the second and third coils from the top.

Just my .02¢
  4. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Thanks for the correction. I wasn't sure if it was 2-3 or 3-4 and didn't have my book handy.
  5. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

I didn't have my book either. I just knew it from repetition from over the years. I wouldn't think it would make that much of a difference, but I'm sure someone on the board would differ!

6. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

a business card is a good gauge for the 2nd and thirrd coils ;)