1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

trip shock on western not working??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by All Trades, Oct 25, 2003.

1. All Trades

All Trades Junior Member
    from Iowa

I have a 8ft poly pro with the shock absorber. I am not sure it works properly. I have been used to 6.5ft westerns without the shock absorber. Both blades seem to trip back equally as hard. How much difference should the shock make?? Does it slow down the moldboard a noticable amount?? I thought I would ask your input before talking to the dealer.

Thanks

Todd

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

It doesn't make a huge difference.You won't actually see the blade slowly coming back.It still trips pretty fast.

You can disconnect the shock,and move it by hand.If it's pretty stiff,and only moves slowly,it's fine.

3. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I didnt have any shocks on my C8 Meyer and it would return hard, I added 2 generic partsmaster truck shocks and it helped alot. I switched to Rancho RS9000 shocks and it slowed it way down. the versatility of an ajustable extention and rebound is well worth every penny spent ($80 each) in deep wet/slushy conditions I can set it at 5 and it makes for a smooth trip and real soft return.

anyways enough rambling, yes it should help some but you have to remember that there is a rotational weight difference with a poly 8' and a 6½' steel.

4. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

You have to remember that you have tons of momentum pushing that blade forward and when it trips the large amount of tension in those trip springs are going to cause a big fight and no matter what you do there is going to be a huge clash of the forces. The shock may dampen the clash somewhat but it may not be visible to you in great amounts.

Jay