1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trip edges vs. full moldboard tip and ? re: Sno-way Direct Linkage

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RodPhillips, Sep 19, 2001.

1. RodPhillips

RodPhillips Junior Member

Would someone please elaborate on the benefits/drawbacks of the use of plows with trip edges (e.g. Fisher) vs. plows where the entire moldboard tips?

I am plowing a couple of driveways, including a large parking lot, that are gravel. Does gravel seem to wear trip edges more quickly, etc.?

Also, the Sno-Way plow utilizes their Direct Linkage System. The benefit of this system, as they see it is that it "eliminates the chain slap and bounce of other snow plows". With no "give" that the chain gives you, is the roughness of gravel driveways transfered to the chasis of the vehicle?

Thanks

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

The discussion of moldboard vs trip edge has been brought up many times. Do a search and you will find many posts. I prefer trip edge like Fisher although I do have one Meyer full trip blade that I am perfectly happy with.

I think the sno-way system has enough give in it. Besides when a plow "bounces" the chain does not absorb the shock it still is transfered to the chassis.

3. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

I think the chain slap and bounce that Sno-Way would be referring to is if you are carrying the plow raised off the ground (even just a little. In this case, the chain does take the abuse.

There are two different directions of force in play here. One from the front, like if you hit a curb, and the up and down forces.

If you are carrying the plow raised, and the plow bounces, Sno-Ways direct linkage takes the abuse, since there is no chain. BUT, since there is not alot of "slack" like a chain, the abuse would be much less forceful. If the plow is fully lowered, it isn't going to do to much bouncing, at least not enough to put strain on the chain.

If you hit an object with either, the force is transfered to the chassis. Direct linkage or chain, doesn't make a difference.

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

When the plow is up and you bounce the front end the chain gets slack then the plow comes down the chain goes tight transfers the shock to the lift arm which transfers it to the plow frame which transfers it to the truck. No matter what linkage the front suspension is still working to handle the bounce. Chain or Direct Linkage the weight is still going to be on the front end!!!

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I have both types of plows, full trip and trip edge.
    I believe that trip edge design is needed for multi position plows, IE v plows. That way the edge can absorb the stress in any position, not just straight as in a full trip v plow.
    On straight plows, I like the added benifit of a full trip, I think it is easier on the truck. Now that being said not all plows are created equal, and homeowrk needs to be done to find a plow that will hold up to years of use.
    As far as plowing gravel, and accellerated wear on components, we use urethane edges that absorb alot of the shock and irregularties encountered when plowing gravel and dirt areas.
    Dino

6. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Trip edge all the way. Thats what they use on the big plows, thats what I want on my trucks.

Two Brands, Fisher and Diamond

Geoff

7. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I can't really comment on the trip edge vs. full-trip deal, but I do own a SnoWay, so I think I can help you out here.

The direct-linkage system is very nice. When transporting the plow, it doesn't jump up and down beating up the front of your truck... but when plowing, it will still "float" and raise up such as when stacking snow. Plowing in general is abusive to a truck... but I think a SnoWay plow with a polyurethane edge on it would give you pretty good odds of keeping your truck in one piece longer.

Hope this helps.

Tim

8. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I'll third the polyurethane, especially for the gravel situation you describe. And I'll add a vote for trip edge. I have seemed to notice the full trips much more than the trip edges, as far as the jolt experienced in the truck. However I agree with what Dino said, could be a difference between plow brands too. I agree with Dave that the Snoway linkage sounds like it would be LESS abusive than the free falling that results from a chain when hitting a bump on the highway. I once hit a pot hole going down the road at about 30 slowing down into a red light. The bounce of the plow cracked the lid to the plow pump. That stunk because it was a 6 lane highway and I had to prop the plow up to nurse it home :( .

9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Geoff around here the "big trucks" meaning town and state use full trip plows. Now the muni and state pickups all run Diamond, Fisher, or Pathfinder trip edge. Wondering if it is different up there? By the way how is the weather up there? I am heading that way next week for some R&R.

10. plowking35

from SE CT

From what I have seen around here, most plows on muni and state trucks are full trip.
    Dino

11. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I know with fishers and westerns , if the plow is all the way up,you do not get the bounce. The plow will ride with the truck.

My vote trip edge.

12. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Up my way the trucks have big Frink now Everest, heavy duty trip edge blades.

Geoff

13. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Interesting. Of course you get a lot more snow. I wonder if that is a main factor in road and highway plowing there over southern New England.

14. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

VTDOT and our town highway dept. runs both designs. I'm thinking it is all dependant on who wins the bid.

15. plowking35

from SE CT

I agree with Alan, I have a friend who plows in mid state Maine and they use full trip.
    Dino