1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

trip edge? yea or na

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Michael M, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Michael M

Michael M Member

I am just wondering how many of you guys run trip edge plows?

2. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

You have to have a trip of some sort, or she gonna break........

3. starc

starc Senior Member

I personally like it when the whole plow flips but, I can't honestly say because I've never had a trip edge.

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

i vote trip edge!!

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

he wants to know weather trip edge or trip blade is more favorable

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The trip edge verses full trip is just like the Chevy,Dodge,Ford,Boss,Meyer,Western,Fisher thing. It's all personal preference and brand loyalty. Personally, I've plowed with them all at one point or another and I like a full trip on a straight blade and a trip edge on a V.

7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Ditto here..

8. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

I've used both and prefer the trip edge

9. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I used to have a Meyer's (full trip) and now we are using a Fisher Extreme V with a trip edge and imo, a trip edge is the way to go!

10. Vinnie

Vinnie Senior Member

I,ve had meyer, western , and fisher and like a few guys said already its all about preferance. Its more important to know WHERE youre plowing and the obstacles then what youre plowing with. Hitting something hard hurts no matter what brand you have:eek:

11. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I have used both.. i prefer trip edge plows. With the heavy wet snows we get they just seemed to scrape better for me.

12. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

I like the trip edge...for 1... when It trips you don't loose your load of snow.
    Cant wait to do some good ole edge tripen...haven't triped a edge since last Feb.
    Leter snow:D

13. starc

starc Senior Member

That's why I went with the full trip, just having a trip edge doesn't help much when you hit a curb head on, it's not tall enough, a full trip will trip...

14. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I know on thing, I bet with the trip edge it's got to be less stress on your headlights, cause when that whole plow trips and springs back, gezzzz, I'm waiting for one of my lights to snap.

15. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Michael since youre up here in the northeast and we get that heavy crap, i would go trip edge. Ive used both kinds of plows all different brands and in the heavy snow the full trip just lays over way too easy. Personally id go trip edge for our kind of snow.

16. Michael M

Michael M Member

Thanks

Thank you guys for responding.
    Trip-edge it is.

17. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

Trip edge, but wouldn't effect a truck purchase if it had a plow and had a full trip.

18. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I have not used the hole blade trip. I have a friend (I know its hard to believe) when he was plowing with a hole blade trip, the blade tripped and the top took out a fender on a car:eek: !! that said, (I have another friend that plows a gravel road and he has used both. He prefers the hole blade trip for gravel roads.

19. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

it depends what you are doing really. And your driving habits, snowfall, route familarity.

I do commercial/industrial only. I like full trip. Because you never know when you are going to find a stray curb, etc... Sometimes you have to backup and reform your pile, sometimes not. But rarely will you stop the truck dead.

A trip edge hits a high enough curb and you will be signing the windshield with your face. But if you are doing places where you are constantly tripping on small bumps, etc... the trip edge is a bit better. (but will still spill some snow)

20. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I think each has it's advantages. I have alot of commercial properties with curbs so I prefer full trip. If the blade does happen to trip, (very rare, maybe a couple times a season) I just throw the truck into neutral and slowly let the blade back up instead of slamming back up. The Best thing to do is plan out and know you're properties. I always stake out all curbs or obstacles that way I know where they all are and won't hit them. Avoiding an object is the best way, although not always possible.