1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trip edge vs trip blade

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by birddseedd, Dec 26, 2011.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

i noticed the mvp plus has a trip edge (inherent design necessity of any v plow) where the wide out uses a trip blade.

is one preferable to the other? i noticed fishers expandable plow uses a trip edge.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I don't know that there is one that is better than the other. As you say, the V plow must have a trip edge but if you look closer you will notice all the extra hardware to accomadate this design. V plows are much heavier because of this. I have the Western Wide-out and it has the full blade trip. I can't imagine how heavy the trip edge would be on such a big plow. When my blade trips the wings almost always fold back as a result of the wing pressure relief valves. This system seems to work quite well and is relatively lightweight.

3. birddseedd

I suppose less complicated is a good thing. there is another brand that has one just like westerns wide out (drewling over the wide out btw) that had a trip edge. they said you can keep plowing without losing snow. shrugs

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The few times I have seen my trip activate, the last thing I was worried about was lost snow! Plowing a big parking lot at speed the snow flies everywhere regardless of what kind of trip edge you have, when it trips. Even at low speeds the blade jumps so much that your collected snow goes everywhere, over under and sideways. You still have to go back and clean up. I still say the weight is a detering factor. It would be interesting to know how much your trip edge wide-out sytle plow weighed.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Umm, Boss and SnoWay Vee plows are full trip....

6. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

Of course it depends on what you hit, how fast you are plowing at, etc. but at higher speeds it seems to me that the trip edge would take a lot less energy to trip than flipping the whole molboard down. At low speeds where you get near the edge of a parking lot and just bump into cement parking berms, than the whole molboard bending forward might be easier on the plow than the trip edge. One thing for sure, then the whole blade trips forward and slams back (if you don't have a shock absorber), there is a lot of shock to the plow there.

7. birddseedd

saw a video yesterday comparing boss to western both v plows. the biggest problem was that because the boss did not have a trip edge, and the v obsorbed the shock, the blade never actualy tripped and the truck slammed to a stop, where the western the trip edge flipped and the truck kept goign relitivly easially.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Is that the video produced by Douglas Dynamics? If so, the Boss isn't properly set up.

And that doesn't change the fact that Vee plows do not have to be trip edge.

9. birddseedd

err. i ono. ill have to look for it some time and see.

10. birddseedd

this is the one. i dono how heavy it is
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk-oSBOcVfk&feature=endscreen&NR=1

11. birddseedd

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Just look at the username of the video poster

13. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yes it was a dd video. May I ask how the boss wasn't set up right? The video did peek my intrest as well.

14. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I personally prefer the trip edge (have a MVP) over a full trip because it's better to work with when you're pushing heavy wet snow.

15. birddseedd

i would think the trip edge was a better system. but im not an expert. just seems you would be dealing with less energy and it would be less harsh.

as far as the v plow.

i dont see how it could be hooked up wrong. would the springs and everything not be assembeled by the factory? all that is left is the controls and under carriage. neither of which would have an effect on how the trip works.

seems to me that in v mode, when it hits the object, the hydraulics of the v absorb the energy, thus not enough energy is put into the springs to cause it to trip?

heck if i know... im running a western duct taped to a meyer UC.

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

17. birddseedd

18. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I've run both types of plows in my past and here's my take.

The full trip blades to me, are less harsh on the trucks, or it at least feels that way. The thing that suck about the full trip though is that in tough conditions with a layer of frozen sleet or snow, it wants to trip the blade way too ofter with the stock springs. If you add extra springs, then that helps that condition.

The trip edge is awesome for scraping and not having issues with tripping in bad conditions, but, I feel the force it takes to trip the edge will weaken your A-frame over time. That and when you catch an edge just right, and trip it, the sucker will shoot up in the air and scare the crap out of you.

19. birddseedd

it does look to have much more pressure on the trip than a full trip. which it would have to have since there is no leverage when dealing with just the edge.

i had to double the number of springs on mine. and woudlent mind a shock obsorber.