1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trip edge sticking

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by badexample1, Jan 25, 2007.

1. badexample1

badexample1 Junior Member
    from MI

I have had my trip edge stick back and stay there 3 times this year after hitting some soft dirt. I greased the pins, but it still sticks open(back). I have to use a large hammer to pound the three spring posts to get it to close. The plow was painted this fall and I thought maybe that was it? But I thought all that spring tension should over come that. Springs are not broken.
    Any ideas from the experts?
    Thanks

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Maybe got a small stone stuck somewhere where you cant see it.

3. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

I remember seeing a guy's Minute Mount's trip edge stuck open about two centimeters just from the driveways he plowed. Mostly beat up driveways and seventeen of them. I was shocked because I've never seen it happen before. I've had a 2x4 stuck in a trip edge before though.

4. LON

LON Senior Member

Actually sounds like a weak spring problem. While they may not be broke they may have gone into coil bind too many times. Do some of the coils look bigger around than others or stepped off to the side of the next one. They should be one above another:
    ----
    ----
    ----
    ----
    Lon

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  5. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

You could have bent something along the blade or edge that is binding the edge up when it gets tripped. I would try and watch the trip edge while someone drives the truck into something to trip it. See if you see any unusual bending or binding.

6. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

From what you have described, I am 90% sure that this is your problem. And be prepared to pay big bucks if it is. I know its over $400.00 to replace the trip bar for my mm1. if you have some time on your hands(I know I do with snow totaling 0.0'') I would try and take all the springs off and see if you can pivot the edge by hand from all the way forward to all the way back. i'm sure that you will find that the bar binds and doesn't move like a hinge should. At least then you'll know what your problem is.

7. badexample1

badexample1 Junior Member
    from MI

Thanks for all the ideas. I will do a tear down and see if something is bent in the trip edge/pins.
    Thanks again.

8. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

Little bit of a late reply but your welcome!

9. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

so what was the outcome....:waving: