1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trip edge spring adjustment

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Stalkker66, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Stalkker66

Stalkker66 Junior Member

hey guys, i was wondering if the super duty trip edge blade springs are adjusted the same as full board springs with a paper shim gap? or is there a specific torque for the adjustment bolt? i think mine trips too hard and want to make slightly softer.

thanks, jeff
  2. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

Interesting...Boss' operations and installation manuals dont say anything about the tension on the trip edge plow springs. It does however, give you bolt torque specs.

On the full trip super duty plows, it does say that the springs should be spaced at 1/32".

Recommended Bolt Torque
    Dia. / Pitch GRADE 5 (ft-lbs) GRADE 8 (ft-lbs)
    1 / 4” – 20 6 9
    5 / 16” – 18 14 19
    3 / 8” – 16 23 33
    7 / 16” – 14 38 53
    1 / 2” – 13 56 80
    9 / 16” – 12 82 116
    5 / 8” – 11 113 159
    3 / 4” – 10 201 283
    Figure 41. Recommended Bolt Torque G00000
    NOTE: The torque values listed above are based on dry, coated bolts, variables such as oil, or other lubrications
    may appreciably alter these values and must be taken into consideration.
  3. Stalkker66

Stalkker66 Junior Member

Well, I just spoke with boss directly. They recommend the same adjustment as the full board blade. Buisness card to slip through the coils. About .012" thick. I think its funny that they use a buisness card to tell me rather then an exact number from a feeler guage. Go figure......
  4. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

Well I assume not everyone has feeler guages and its not exactly rocket science. Basically they are just saying there should be some degree of a gap and it just so happens that a business card is within the specs of that gap. ITs also something that everyone is sure to have laying around somewhere
  5. Stalkker66

Stalkker66 Junior Member

i agree. im just surprised they didnt just give me a number as well. im just use to thinking like a mechanic no joe average.