1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trip Edge Replacement - Western MVP 9.5

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Lawnscape89, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

Has anyone ever replaced the trip edge on a Western MVP? On the parts list, they call it the "Base Angle". It's not the cutting edge, but the part that the cutting edge bolts to.

My concern is the 3 trip springs are putting down pressure on the base angle (aren't they?) and I'm not sure how to remove them without getting injured. Can I just unbolt the trip springs at the bottom? OR, do I need to get the pressure off of them first? If so, how?

2. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

I do believe that they are like a coil on a car. Need a special tool or you may lose a limb. Western mechanics guide says they make on for it. PN20043. Wouldn't recommend trying it without it.

Tom

3. Lawnscape89

When I ordered the Base Angle (online) I also purchased the tool you are referring to. I tried it and the problem is that I'm trying to recoil 3 springs with one tool...way too much pressure and the tool looks like it's about to fail.

So, I'm wondering if I can loosen the bolt at the bottom of the trip spring and just remove the base angle? Or, is it still under pressure? If so, I think it may be minimal, but I hate to take the chance.

4. Lawnscape89

OK - I've got it figured it out and it's relatively easy. For those of you that may need to do this repair, here's how I did it.

Forget the stinkin' spring tool...you just pull up to an outside corner curb, lift your blade a little (it's best to have the wing centered on the corner) and move forward. This will activate the trip edge...all you need to do then is insert one 1/8" bolt about 1/2" long into the each trip spring and your set.

Just back up and the spring tension is removed and you saved $35.00 on the tool (well, I didn't).