1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

trip edge renforcing plates cracked and on missing? problem to worry about?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by 350 STROKER, Dec 5, 2010.

1. 350 STROKER

350 STROKER Member

I was doing my fall oil change etc today and saw a potention problem. it is an RD 7.5 MM2 Anyway on the very bottom edge of the trip edge on the back side at both ends there is a metal plate about 3" x 8" it is / was welded to the back of the trip edge. well one of mine is totally gone and the other is separating from the weld. I would say it cracked but the weld never penatrated the plate itself. on the one that is missing the weld is perfect but there are no remains of the gusset plate. do you guys think this is a major problem? the blade is less than two years old and should still be under warrenty. i guess i'll have to go by the dealer and see what they say. what do you guys think?

2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I've seen a couple do it,have it taken care of now,when you start buying cutting edges they will wear like crazy on the one side

3. 350 STROKER

350 STROKER Member

i'm going to call the dealer in the next day or two and see if they will give me a new trip edge to fix it

4. 350 STROKER

350 STROKER Member

here are a couple of pics of the problem.. called the dealer last week and no responce yet.. plow is 1.5 years old, maybe a warrenty issue... what do you guys think?

IMG00177-20101205-0848.jpg

IMG00178-20101205-0849.jpg

5. 350 STROKER

350 STROKER Member

i've still heard nothing from my dealer. its been like a month. do you guys htink i should try to contact fisher directly. i would like to get this taken care before / if we get and real storms..

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

that right there looks like bad welds. didnt realy bit in with the weld. only the edges got penitration. you call them again today or tusday and remind them of the deal and tel them i need this fixed. 1.5 years old thay shouldnt be popin off.

i have heard on here that the past few years thay have had problems with welds on a lot of plows.

my old speedcaster blades dont break anywere close to as much as i here of the new stuff. and if thay held up better i would almost go buy a new xls and sell my 8ft and 9ft blades for 1 xls . but not at this point.

7. 350 STROKER

350 STROKER Member

i agree it looked the welds never penetrated the plates. i didn't think it would have taken so long for them to look into this. they tell me they are waiting to hear from fisher. i acually sent them the same pics I have posted. I would have thought it would have been cut and dry. either they are going to replace the trip edge or not. I guess for all the time invested in this I could have just dusted off the welder but that would screw the powder coat..

8. 350 STROKER

350 STROKER Member

the big pain for me is the closest dealer to me is two hours away. i chose fisher because IMHO they are the best out there and I've used them since I was 16 years old back in NH. I've never had a warrenty issue with before but this is starting to become a pain. something tells me its the dealer not wanting to deal with it. we will see

9. tiaquessa

tiaquessa Senior Member

I had that exact same thing happen, except I actually lost one of the wear bars. My advice is to have someone weld it on 3 sides, on both plates.

10. 350 STROKER

350 STROKER Member

i was hoping they would replace it... wouldn't have to buy a cutting edge this year.. lol actually i didn't want to mess up the powder coat on the front and sides. never mind i bet it is joy to grind off to prep for weld

11. 350 STROKER

350 STROKER Member

so much for warrenty with fisher i guess. they finally got back to my dealer and said " sometimes that happens due to dissimilar metals and the weld doesn't penatrate both pieces" I call some Bs on that. if it was welded right it would be fine. I know this in not a huge deal but i expected them to offer to replace the trip edge. all they will do is send my deal a couple of replacement plates for the dealer to weld in. Hell I can do that here if I wanted to deal with it. My dealer is 2 hours away from here, so I would lose a truck and driver for the day. I just wanted to rant a little. what do you guys think of the outcome? I kind of expected it, no one wants to stand behind anything anymore.

off rant.. lol

12. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

well right there thay opened the door . thay said thay know i didnt weld right and thay designed it. thay should know.

now if you or i designed and built a product and sold it knowing there was a problem with the welds not holding on them . i bet your butt the lawers would be all up in our crap for not doing it right / not welding right / and bad quality service checks.

i am not a master welder/fab person. i learned my self from practice on how to weld. i what little i know of the welding prossess. that is def a welding problem from lack of preheating of the thicker/harder item to bring it up to a welding level thats required to hold.

oh well thats just my opinion. and fyi most all of my weld that i have no tranning in have held as i wanted. only a few broke from stupid mistake I MADE before welding.

13. 350 STROKER

350 STROKER Member

i fell the same way. its the principle of the thing. i too and a novice welder I know what has to be done to be done to penetrate both peices of steel. you would think with what this thing cost they would want to make it right. I have a good mind to call Fisher myself and see what they say. I've always been loyal to fisher. i've used only theit product for better than 25 years. i never even considered another brand when I needed a plow rig. i even talked my best friend into using fisher when the nearest dealer is 2 hours from us. i might have to rething that next time

14. ADMSWELDING

ADMSWELDING Senior Member

You got your moneys worth out of that edge, looks like it needs to be replaced.

15. 350 STROKER

350 STROKER Member

yes it sure does.. lol

16. jaybird

jaybird Member

where are you located?

17. 350 STROKER

350 STROKER Member

i'm in fredericksburg Virginia.

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Once you install a new cutting edge, which you will do at some point, that wear bar is no longer a factor.

I would leave it, rather than messing up the powder coat as you mentioned.

19. 1bohica

1bohica Junior Member
    from MA

Fisher has had a history of suspicious welding (usually overamping the metal), too bad you couldn't do what some car dealers do and order cars not built on specific days

20. 350 STROKER

350 STROKER Member

i bought a new edge last week and will get it bolted on before the next storm... fisher never used to be like this. they were always bullet proof... it was all we used in new hampshire. i've been using there products since i was about 17 and this is the 1st weld failure I have ever seen that wasn't caused by abuse or a mistake. not that it is a major deal in this instance but some of the reading I have done with regard to weld failures is pretty scarry