1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trip edge question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by XRX225, Nov 19, 2009.

1. XRX225

XRX225 Junior Member
    from NH

I just bought my first used plow...on a 1994 Dodge Dakota. I was told it was a Fisher mm plow. It has a trip edge, and my question is.....do trip edge plows usually have a cutting edge? The trip edge on this plow is a little worn down, and I'm not sure if I need to buy a new trip edge, or if it should have a cutting edge? I see no holes or any other way to mount a cutting edge on this plow.

2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

You should beable to put a cutting edge on it. What is the plow model?

3. XRX225

XRX225 Junior Member
    from NH

Plow model

I'm not sure of the model. I was told that it was a Fisher mm, and to remove it from the vehicle, there is a horizontal rod that you pull that drops a bar down with a bunch of holes in it and a pad at the bottom that hits the ground, and then I pull 2 pins (one on each side) and it releases the entire plow and lights from the vehicle. I will measure the width and post it tomorrow morning if that helps.

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

There should be holes in the front of the trip edge OR it already has a replacement edge on it. Then you will see round nubs (about 1 inch diameter and 1/4 inch high) on the front trip edge they are garage bolts that hold the cutting edge on.

5. XRX225

XRX225 Junior Member
    from NH

OK...I don't have a picture yet (it was raining this morning), but I can verify that the trip edge does not have a cutting edge on it, and it does not have any holes to mount a cutting edge. The plow is 6.5' wide. The trip edge has ribs on the back side that go right down to the edge of the blade that contacts the pavement, and the trip edge that contacts the pavement is kind of worn and uneven, which makes me think that the previous owner didn't bother to use a cutting edge, and just used the trip edge. Would it be easier (and less expensive) to drill holes to mount a cutting edge, or to have one welded on?

6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Drill the holes, else next time you will have to have the old edge cut off and the new one welded on.