1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trip Edge Question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by vis, Jan 9, 2006.

1. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

For those of you with trip edges, in particular fishers, when your blade strikes something, mainly manhole covers, when the edge trips, does the force push the plow into the air, and then cause it to crash to the ground, making a loud bang?

No i was not going fast, but on a few occasions 5MPH or below, manhole covers have caused the plows to jump up in the air and come crashing back to the ground, is the trip edge causing this and can it be resolved?

I thought the idea of the trip edge was to keep the snow infront of the blade not 10 feet into the air and all over my trucks, not to mention scaring the ***** outta me.

lol...:gunsfiring: :dizzy:

2. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

It's happened to me, and one time it was when my plow was on a cement slab at a gas station, and it was actually going down off of it and for some reason it jumped. I wasn't going fast either, I think it was the crack between the cement and hot top. But they will do it. More so when the crack is straight with the plow, because the plow goes right in the crack and bounces back up.

Nothing can really change that. I've done it with Fishers, Meyers, and anything else I've used. On the Cote Snowplow Brand site, it shows a 1-ton plowing a road, (it's advertising the 1-tons wing plow) but he has both plows down and the blade his a manhole cover and does the same thing.

3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I've had it bang before, it really does scare the crap out of you. However I have a commercial with some bad pavement in one spot and the blade trips like you would expect it too. It all depends on what your hitting and how fast.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

On the older fishers when it tripped sometimes it would destroy your plow lights when it popped up.:eek:

5. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

Which year of the Fisher? I end up having the blade go up all the way at times but it's stopped because the frame on the blade will eventually hit the bottom of the head gear I think. But yeah, I've seen it happen before. My friend has an old plow (not a Fisher) but he hit a snowbank and it came up and hit his right side light off.

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I've had it happen a few times. Generally, it's when the plow hits something higher than the trip edge. First time really scared the sh-- out of me.

7. grandview

It was new in 1989 still in service.

8. oarwhat

oarwhat Senior Member

I had one on a '95 dodge. It jumped and banged until the springs got weaker then it wasn't bad. Problem was it took two years of plowing to calm down.

9. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

one of my employees recently lost a light due to this, it seems to happen even if your creeping over the obstacle, the plows have been thru 2 seasons atleast and still jump pretty high, something should be done to reduce the jump, or eliminate it, it would save alot of peoples shorts during those 3am plow runs:dizzy:

10. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Couldn't Fisher put a shock absorber inside the spring coil or something similar. More parts, more to break.

11. makplow

makplow Senior Member

I have a Curtis and it dose it also. I plow the same streets for the town so I`m getting to know where all the bad spots are.

12. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

shock absorber would be nice, atleast something to keep the plow down and prevent the crashing of the blade to the ground :eek:

even if you know where they are, some times you will hit them just right and bang! :gunsfiring:

13. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Try to get your guys just to remember where those obsticles are which cause the jump and pay attention. Even a cannon trip will slam hard in most cases.
    I have a drive that does that if I am going over 5mph- blade jumps 2 feet up and slams down. Paying attention to where I am in the drive I slow down (or mark it with markers which you can't do in a lot, I know) or turn slightly so the blade isn;t straight on to the obsticle.

Check the angle of the blade to the frame- Fisher's have 3 adjustment holes for blade angle- you're supposed to have the blade arms parallel to the truck frame, but if you change the angle you will change the trip response. Raise the back it will trip easier (where mine is) lower it it will trip harder.

14. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Whats the big deal? They have done that forever and will continue to. When you compress a spring like that the pressure needs to go somewhere and up in the air is much better than through to the truck frame.

15. Swinn

Swinn Member

I am curious if anyone sees this type of action with a full trip blade. Obviously it won't be a fisher. Just looking at the 2 types I can see how the trip edge may do this more but I don't have much experience with either.

16. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

with out the edge, all that force would go thru the a-frame and into the truck frame causing the potential for heavy damages.

on the other hand, with plows jumping into the air breaking headlights, or worse, i dont know, seems there should be something added to these plows like a shock absorber to minimize or eliminate this from occuring :realmad: :yow!:

17. grandview

As Justme said WATCH OUT!!

18. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I never had it break anything but it has happend going too fast in the past. It's a good way to wake you up.. more like change your underwear! :(

19. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Why- if driver's just pay attention to what they're doing and where they are..... The biggest componant in any vehicle to minimise damage is behind the wheel!

Every account should have a lot diagram with ALL obsticles, obstructions, issues clearly labeled and marked where snow can be piled. These should be you, the plower's responsibility, as it's for you're use. They should be reviewed by the drivers for the property every year- no matter how many years they have been plowing the same route.

Each fall every account needs to be visited and checked against the diagram too. What good it the diagram if it's 3 years old and they added a curbing?

The current gen of Fisher's have stops - solid steel loops welded to the bottom of the lift frame to limit the plow from raising beyond a certain point- you CANNOT bounce the blade and take out a headlight on any MM generation plow. Cannon or full trip blades MAY bounce, but generally they slam hard against the ground instead.