1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trip edge packing wth dirt

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by oldmankent, Feb 23, 2016.

1. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

This winter has been tough for this. Every storm we've had has been precluded by warm weather. So the ground hasn't been close to frozen. Been having a tough time with dirt and gravel packing into the edge when it trips and then causing the cutting edges to ride at different heights and angles. Sucks.

If I'm close to home I'll hose it down with hot water and that will help. Otherwise I drop the blade on the road and run it while picking it up and dropping if a few times and hope that the edge trips a bit and cleans out.

I haven't really figured out a way to manually trip the edge. If I could it certainly would be easier to clean out. Anyone have any tips? Thanks, Nick.
  2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I have used a curb to trip the edge. Then used a screwdriver to clear the edge. DO NOT PUT YOUR FINGERS IN THERE. Also Fisher trip spring tool will work and much safer than the curb trick. They run around $35
  3. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I put a pipe wrench right on the cutting edge with a piece of pipe extension on it with the blade up . . It opens pretty easy . Then just spray with the hose. As already said keep your fingers out .
  4. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Yup, as Kimber stated, push it up to a curb and use something to push the debris out.
  5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Keep it oot of the dirt and run shoes.
  6. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Keep the blade off the ground when not on pavement or crete...it's that simple. Raise that b!tch up with whatever contour you're plowing, and keep out of V mode on soft terrain. I'm sure your customers won't mind an inch or two of snow over the damage that you're causing. I personally have a clause about this right in my contract for non paved properties.

To have your plow crudded up with that much junk to have a noticeable height difference between wings is just ludicrous, I get some mud and crap too, but not nearly bad enough to have to trip the edge to clear it. What are you plowing, construction sites?

I love the spring tool, but I think it would take too long to do it everytime, I'd vote for curbage, or power washer myself.
  7. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Neat, logical, I like. Thumbs Up
  8. oldmankent

Actually, yes I am plowing construction sites. Listen I do float the blade when it is really soft, but alot of my accounts are not even close to flat. I'm hired to clear snow, not baby their peastone. On one site I deal with 1/2 pea stone, 3/4' crushed stone, and just straight up fill. It's really been this winter. Ground has never frozen up good when it counts. I've tried pipe wrench with extension handle and that didn't work well. I think I have done curb before, but not always a safe thing to do during a storm.
    That being said, I should probably get a spring tool from fisher. How quickly can the springs be removed? I've got 6 to do. Don't plan on doing it during a storm, but maybe a pre trip or nicer weather checkup to let them go and clean out the edge. Thanks, Nick.
  9. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

You don't need to remove the springs. Just put the tool on and it will pull the edge back.
  10. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure what else you plow but if its just construction sites like this maybe switching to a full trip plow from Western would help since the same electrics can be used. Fwiw, I'm a Fisher guy as well but it sounds like your plow isnt the best tool for this particular application
  11. oldmankent

It's fine. It's just a crappy soft ground winter for it.
  12. tastebeer

tastebeer Member

Dirt under trip edge

I have not had any issues with dirt/gravel packing between the moldboard and trip edge on any HD9'. If I am plowing on dirt/gravel roads, I will install the shoes (I never use shoes on paved surfaces) and have the cutting edge about 1/2-3/3" off the road. When ground is frozen, do not have to use the shoes. Hope this helps.