1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trip edge or full trip?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DaySpring Services, Feb 21, 2006.

1. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

What's your preference? Especially for parking lots with curbs. I like the western MVP but the curbs scare me if you happen to catch one. No matter how careful you are your more than likely to catch one sooner or later.

2. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

If you hit a island curb going fast id prefer a full trip....the trip edge might not help you that much in that case....but how often will that happen once you become famillair with the places you are plowing....

it should only take one or two pushes at a lot before you begin to remember where everything is, and if you are still worried, go out and stake out any curbs that stick out....then you wont hit them

the trip edge does the job on man hole covers, sewers, uneven pavement, speed bumps and when pushing into/over curbs/frozen piles etc.

I my self prefer the edge tripping rather than the full trip because it seems to me from my experience that a trip edge has less shock when it snaps back, rather than the whole blade being sprung backward....

it also contains alot of the snow when it trips unless you are going too fast and the plow will jump up in the air and scare the crap outta you:dizzy: (fishers~)

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have a trip edge but had a Western for years. I know when I hit something hard with the trip edge the whole plow jumbs straight up. When you hit it with full trip the blade will go over but will still have to go up to get over the curb. The main advantage I have found to trip edge is when the snow is heavy or packed the edge may trip but the blade stays up and allows you to push more.

4. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Just a thought--could be wrong, but most of the really old plows were full trip--50 years or older!--do we think that maybe the evolution of the plow has reverted to just a trip edge---or was full trip designed for more gravel roads (no burms manhole or catchbasins)?--I personaly have owned only one full trip and it did the job--I have owned several trip edge models--And I know what Vis is talking about with the jump up and scare the bejesus out of ya at 2 in the A.M. -Happens at least once a season!

5. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

yeah lol it feels like the whole plow is being torn from the truck lol. scary stuff... but overall im happy with the newer trip edge sytems.

nobody mentioned it, but search for this topic and you will find days of reading :drinkup: :drinkup:

6. SnowDozers

SnowDozers Member

My Fisher did that, you are the only other person on here that has said the same thing. I don't know what the deal is with that, but they had sold the trip edge as something that would allow you to maintain the entire load of snow in front of the plow... however, after that happens, you have a pile a foot high left on top of whatever you hit so you would have to back up and re-grab the pile. I prefer full trip designs myself.

7. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Tripe edge is my preference Especially if you get a lot of heavier wet snow.I cant stand when full trip blades flop over and spill all the snow. The only time the Trip edge jumps up like stated in previous posts is if you hit something at a pretty good speed or its a large object.

8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I prefer trip edge- Full blades tend to leave alot more snow behind when they trip. I have never seen the jumping of a Fisher as has been mentioned unless I am driving way too fast when I hit something, in which case any plow will leave behind lots of snow.

The first plows had NO trip mechanism- they were basically wooden planks bolted to metal angles at an angle in front of the truck, then came V blades- also no trip. The first trip mechanism was in the V blades back in the 1920's, which allowed the whole blade to lift up vertically a few inches.
    I don;t know that it's evolution to get to edge trip, but the edge trip design has been around since the 1940's.

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Fisher (and maybe some others) have been making trip edge plows since the late 40's if I remember right from the book on their history. So to say they haven't been around that long is incorrect.

The jumping will occur if you hit something hard enough that just the edge will no longer absorb the shock. I have had it happen a couple times and it has scared the **** out of me each time as well.

My preference is trip edge also. Yes, if you hit something that hard that it jumps it will leave a pile of snow. But as many of you have stated, it has never happened or only happened a couple times, so the number of times that a large pile is left is very infrequent. But if you look at the number of times that the trip edge functions and doesn't leave any or very little snow, then you will see a huge advantage over a full trip plow. You are also able to maintain better control of your truck when a trip edge trips compared to a full trip. With a full trip, you either have to stop or back up to get the plow vertical again. A trip edge resets almost immediately without any lost momentum.

Having said this, I am actually going back to full trip plows, because that is the only type that Blizzard manufactures. If they had a trip edge, I would be buying it.

BTW, if you hit a curb fast enough that your trip edge is damaged, I guarantee you a full trip is going to be damaged as well.

10. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

My preference is trip edge. My past experience with full trip was with a Meyers that I owned and others in the area that I observed. My dislike for them is two fold. First and foremost that in events pushing large volumes of heavy snow that the moldboard would get so much pressure on the topside that it would cause the eyes on the springs to bend thus allowing the moldboard to have a reverse lean(top back further than the cutting edge) causing snow to just rise up over the blade and fall behind the plow and up on to the hood. The second part is that they tend to be much lighter and not scrape as well as their heavier counterparts.

11. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Trip edge for me as well!

12. douglasl330

I need to restate my previuos comment!--------MOST of the plows 50 years ago had full trip----My dad at one point owned a 47 Autocar Dump that had a trip edge--guy he bought it from said had the plow since truck was new. My thinking was that 50 years ago it was probably 10% trip edge and 90% full trip(Granted this is in the northeast where fisher dominates the market). We now may see 90% tripedge an 10% full trip. Almost anyone doing comercial is running Fisher with a few boss plows sprinkled in for good measure(this is in my general area(5 mi radius) where there is a Diamond and Meyers dealer along with a Fisher dealer)

13. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Douglas, I will wait to refuit your numbers until I have more proof, but I think there were more like 60/40 full to edge. Many of the once great now defunct makes were edge trip. I deal in auto lit, I've seen lots of old photo and lit relating to plow trucks and plows.

14. danno

danno Senior Member

Trip edge here. As stated, full trips are :gunsfiring: LIGHTER!

15. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

You might want to recheck your specifications on fill trip blades. If you compare apples to apples the weight of full trip blades are close to or higher than trip edge blades(check out blizzard straight blades they out weigh fisher trip edges). I have used both fisher and western snow plows. Too me my current western full trip blade out scrapes the trip-edge fishers mainly because the angle of attack is greater. Also I never really noticed a "huge" pile left after the blade trip that everybody is talking about, or had my blade trip on heavy wet snow...

16. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

compare a Meyers versus a Fisher, or a Boss . Blizzard is an exception to the rule.

The angle of the full trips does seem to be better in many cases for scraping which is why I expect the Xblade has that attack angle and still is edge trip.

17. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Full trip with a shock absorber. Mine doesn't have a shock absorber. To hit something with a trip edge plow, and to hit the molboard can do serious damage. Anywhere on a full trip below the pivot point will allow the plow to trip. Safer and better on truck. Might not stand up to wet snow quite as well, but if your springs are good, you can push wet snow with a full trip no problem.

18. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

I will only use trip edges, but my golf cart's plow is a full trip. I love the trip edge because they do not move the whole plow over, and they do not cause that much vibration damage on the equipment. I do wish that on the trip edges, they would have some kind of high intensity system that would let the moldbord flip over if something drastic hit the plow.

-Thann

19. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Trip edges work better then full trips if your dealing with wet heavy snow alot of the time, a full trip will lay down, and stay partially tripped in real heavy wet snow. If you deal with mostly light fuffy stuff then the full trip will perform better because when it trips you don't lose as much of the load.
    I think it comes down to personal perference and the type of snow you normally plow.

Bill

20. douglasl330

Justme---in my area about 30 years ago--it was a 60/40 split--and it may have been that 50 years ago like you state. Seemed like any dodge or jeep ran meyers setup. I was just stating from the trucks from the 40's and 50's one out of ten seemed to have a trip edge! I not saying that there wasn't a bunch of suppliers or plows out there -I just don't remember too many on the real old trucks having them (I had an old timer for a nieghbor who swore by his full trip blade on his willys jeep GRHS)--- My dad has a coulpe of picks of some B-model Macks and I did notice that the truck had a tripedge on it! The pics were taken in 68 and the trucks were early 60's.--An whats the tally so far?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006