1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

trip edge or full trip?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Calamari, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Calamari

Calamari Member

Hi all,
    Fantastic site.

I am new to the snowplow business and am curious about the advantages and/or disadvantages of owning a trip edge or full-trip plow. I'll be plowing in the city and suburbs, north of Boston, but not city streets (I hope). Parking lots and driveways mostly. I will be getting a Fisher plow soon. Are all Fishers trip-edge now? Any good dealers or repair shops in eastern Mass?

Pray for snow.

2006 F-250 Power Stroke
    Fisher 8' ???
    Boss ???

1989 Ramcharger
  2. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Almost every one around here runs a trip edge. There is a good dealer in Dracut,but I don't know how far you are from them. There is a great dealer in N. Chelmsford . They are open during storms no matter what time or day and do repairs during the storms. I blew a fitting on my old truck during the blizzard and they had me back in the action in less than ten minutes. The parts guy held the flashlight while I installed the fitting and reconnected the pump. Can't beat service like that!

Good luck on whatever you choose!
  3. Calamari

Calamari Member

Thanks for the info. I'm in Melrose but am around Merrimac Valley during the day. Thanks again.

Looking for something like that closer to Boston.
  4. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i don't think there really is a difference in them they both plow the same really its just preference. but you cant beat a fisher or western. all fisher's are trip edge plows and all westerns are full trip other than that there pretty much the same plow, and the best i must add
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

By all means, im not at all an expert on the subject but my dad had me plowing his office when i was eight. They have always had a fisher and i love it. Wouldn't want a full trip blade, just doesn't look like it would drop the load you are pushing if it trips. Like i said, i am no expert and have only used one brand of plow but i do know that that is what ill be getting for my truck when i get one next year. Just my 2 cents! Good Luck!
  6. douglasl330

Try Salem brake and Clutch.

That is where I bought mine 8'mm/hd. I was going to go with a 9', but have always had an 8' on my two other trucks.
  7. Calamari

Calamari Member

Great points all. Thanks.
  8. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I ran a Fisher for many years and had no problems. Just picked up an 8 foot Boss trip edge from Advanced Auto & Accessories in Boxborough. You may want to call Rich Morse over there. Nice guy and good bunch of guys.
  9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

What do you have the newer mm/hd fisher mounted on? Thanks!
  10. Calamari

Calamari Member

Should be picking it up in 2-3 weeks.pumpkin:
  11. douglasl330

It's on a 2000 f350 7.3PSD with 2 1/2 lift
  12. makplow

makplow Senior Member

hi Cal new my self. Plowed year`s ago, buying a new curtis having it installed monday. I was really concerned on wether to buy a full trip or trip edge. I asked around. seems like most guys like the trip edge,but I guess it`s a matter of preferance.::confused:
  13. Calamari

Calamari Member

truck on the way

I've been out of it since my early 20's landscaping and building maintenance days. Been in utility construction for years and now will be using up alot of acrued time-off to plow. Truck will arrive @ dealer Monday. It's been a long six weeks waiting. Maiden voyage to N. Conway, NH to visit friends next week.:drinkup:
  14. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Even a trip edge seems to leave snow. The plow sometimes jumps up in the air requiring you to go back and clean up. Not as much as a full trip but still a bit. I duno......personal preference I think generaly I like the full trip. In a V blade trip edge is much better IMO.

trip vrs full trip has been debated quite a bit in the comercial side I believe. Might do a search there. each method has its pros and cons. it mostly comes down to personal preference though. some like full some like trip edge.