1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trip edge or Full blade trip????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ChicagoSnow, Jun 17, 2002.

1. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

All of my current plows that we use are of the "full trip" variety. Can anyone tell me the pro's and con's with trip edge plows.

Thank you,

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

My only experience with trip blades is from a western 7.5 pro plow so I do have limited knowledge about these types of plows. The biggest advantage I've found between the two is the ability of the trip edge to keep the load moving especialy in heavy wet snow that is common on the east coast. The Fisher had much better rolling and stacking abilities than the western. I also noticed that the western absorbed the bumps (manholes, curbs) alot better than the Fisher did. However the western would fold flat to the ground when it was on something like rough asphalt or concrete or a change in grade was encountered. I do know that spring adjustments can help but it didn't help this particular plow. All that being said in these parts a company called curtis is becoming known as making a trip blade plow that is just as tough and effective as any trip edge.
  3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

well I can tell you that the full trip blade is ok but i think that i would prefere the the fisher type trip blade.You trip it and it springs right back as the full trip at least the one that I had would trip and stay down untill i lifted it up off the ground.
  4. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Another thing that full trips do. Is when hitting an object ( man hole covers or packed snow) at full angle it tends to push the truck side way's. Where a trip edge will just go over it not pushing the truck side way's . I have used fisher ,western ,boss and meyers. I might try a diamond next.
  5. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

Curtis is now building a trip-edge plow and they also have an 8.5' v plow. I'll have some photos of the v plow tomorrow after i stop by my friends shop. The curtis mounting system is really easy to hookup, and the mount is barely noticable.

6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I ran moldboard trips (Meyers, Western) and then switched to Diamond with a trip edge and swore I'd never go back. As JD said, the trip edge won't fold over in wet snow, in fact it just keeps digging in. I used to get stuck quite a bit when the Meyers and Western would fold over and ride up on the snow, by the time I realized it was happening the truck was up on the snow too and I'd have to start digging.

The downside to the trip edge is ironically its tendency to keep digging. They work best on blacktop, don't try gravel or thawed bank run, your plow becomes a bulldozer. You also have to be more careful of obstacles, the trip edge is not as forgiving as the moldboard trip.

I've narrowed down my route to almost all blacktop, so the trip edge work great for me, the only time I get stuck now is if I slide off pavement on ice. I did go back to the moldboard trip with my new Blizzard, but it has 4 trip springs and so far the only thing that's tripped it is soft gravel. My new truck will have a poly trip edge, I'm interested to see how well this will work.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Bryan your as well informed as chuck :D.

I'm guessing that Curtis must have felt pressure to go to the trip edge from all the Fisher guys around here. Are they still going to use the trip blade? Also will the v be a trip blade? The only reason I know anything about these plows is that one of my subs runs an 8 footer and he loves it and I've seen more and more around here.
  8. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a Curtis. Previously had a Western Pro. With the shock and the 5 springs, I didn't have all that much trouble with it tripping while pushing, but when it did you had to stop and lift it to get it to straighten back up. The Curtis is very similar to the Western except there are "stops" so the moldboard can only go over about 30 degrees before it stops. Because of this, it will straighten back out and you don't have to worry about the moldboard going all the way flat and the truck riding up on top of it. I have used the Curtis for 3 seasons (though this last season shouldn't count) and have had no problems with it. The attachment is quick and simple, and the truck side mount is minimal so it it hardly noticable in the off-season. I would buy another one.
  9. snow

The curtis V plow is a full trip design. My friend switched the controls to the v plow for his truck, but with the lousy winter, and getting the prototype late in the season didn't get to use it. The v plow is very beefy. My friend told Mark Curtis (one of the owners) about some changes they should make for the v plow and they're using his changes for it. Curtis is still not that well known, but i think in a few more years they'll become more popular. For those considering a boss v plow, look into a curtis also.

10. snow

Ok, i put all the photos of the v plow into my webshots account. Here's the link photos

There's also some pics of the plow he made a mount for to go into his ford 4000 industrial loader, and his hough loader he just aquired.

11. SCL

SCL Senior Member

I have a Fisher and love the trip edge. Two big advantages that I see. One, when it trips you don't lose what your pushing, it stays on the moldboard. Two, I pushed snow for another contractor when he broke 4 of his 6 pickups in a very wet snow. Went to a mall and the pickups with foldovers couldn't get half a plow full without folding over. I just loades up and pushed like crazy. Trip edge is a definite advantage. As for gravel thats loose, use the shoes.