1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trip edge cutting edge

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by bossman08, Nov 11, 2013.

1. bossman08

bossman08 Junior Member

We are getting two 9ft with wings and i have a question about the cutting edges. The company i work for recently became a boss dealer and came up with a question. The plows come technically without a cutting edge as it says when you purchase them. So we looked into this. We contacted boss and they said you wear down the piece of steel that is on it tell about 1 inch below the bolt holes. We then talked to a different distributer and found out they put a cutting edge on over the piece of steel that comes on it (which would be the trip edge part). We are wondering if dealers do this to make the trip edge stronger or if they dont realize that they are suppose to wear that piece of steel down first. It seems like a waste of money to us to put a cutting edge on but mabye people know something we dont. Does anyone have a solution to this?
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Huh. A plow that doesn't come with a cutting edge. Interesting

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

What BOSS told you is correct. Most trip edge plows no matter the company follow this same rule.
    If you put a cutting edge on before the wear down period you wont get as much use out of the edge as you would normally.
  4. bossman08

bossman08 Junior Member

Thats what we were thinking we just didnt know if they knew something we didnt. Thanks
  5. magnum1

magnum1 Senior Member
    from ID & ND

I beg to differ on installing the cutting edge before or after trip edge breakin period.
    I have tried both ways. Installing the cutting edge prior to trip edge breakin the cutting edge has a longer life span not by much approximately 20 to 30 days. Then after installing a new cutting edge at that time your trip edge has been broke in to manufacturer requirements. I imagine the added life span can be attributed to the thickness of the cutting edge which is approximately 7/8" when bolted to the trip edge prior to breakin.