1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Big Bad Bob, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob Junior Member
    from zone 5

i see most have a 2" trigger on plowing. this seems reasonable. what do you use as a location for that trigger. i mean, do you say that if the local airport reports 2" then that is when you start removal? do you pick a central location for the trigger? and if you boost your price at 6" do you use this same location. what if you get 6" at the trigger point but 5 miles away, your client claims they only got 4"?
  2. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I try to do resi's at 1 inch.

I let them know that it is my discrestion as in the measuring an inch. Since the airport is 40minutes away and they could have 5+ inches, I justify how much their is.

I havent had a problem in 3 years
  3. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I'm gonna get crap here from some by saying I simply use common sense with my customers (ok, start laughing... customers don't have common sense!). If there is a visible 2" at any given point, I'm doing the route. I have it set with every customer that my better judgment is used to determine plowing or not. If the hour of day is reasonable and there is question in my mind (ie: sleet or heavy wet stuff not at 2") I will make a few phone calls & go with a consensus -- many people like that. 4 of the semi-reasonable customers make up about 10% of my client base, so I go with that. Also, if someone genuinely feels it didn't warrant a plowing I can have a good discussion about why I did, and in the end I can always drop that single charge (it's never been abused).
  4. GrandScapes

GrandScapes Senior Member

I would rather have a customer complain that I am over servicing then complaining that I do not show up enough.

Once they do complain about the height your pushing at, then you can put them at the bottum of the list and continue with your business....
  5. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Good call, Grand! One thing I have to tell people when it snows during the day (when most have the same basic trigger) is that I can't plow before it snows! I'll hit some accounts a little early, knowing they like it cleaned up. Then I'm not so far behind that the 2" trigger has turned into 6" accumulation. Still can't keep everyone happy all the time, but I've been fortunate to weed out the problem ones.
  6. SLLNorth

SLLNorth Member

1.5in. trigger up here! We have had 2 small storms this year @ 1.5in.payup
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I use the 2" trigger point also.But when I sign up a new customer I make it clear that the measurement I base it on is at MY discretion.Generally I know the area's that tend to get more snow than where I'm taking my measurement, so I take those area's into consideration.