1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trigger Question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Stan, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Stan

Stan Senior Member

In the past I priced out one of my accounts @ a 2" trigger. Did not raise my rate last year (fuel) but will slightly raise this year. They want to raise the trigger @ 3". It was my assumption that the normal trigger was @ 2". What's the usuall trigger on a comercial parking lot ?

Thing that gets to me I will not destroy my trucks on 2" of frozen slush. Thoughts ?
  2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

For me commerical is a 1" trigger, and residential is a 2" trigger.
  3. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

I agree with Epic Lawn Care, 1" for Commercial and 2" for residential.
  4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I've got accounts that are now running a 1/4" - 1/2" trigger.

Basically banks and places where there's a TON of foot traffic.

If it's an industrial type place, or someplace without as much foot traffic, they're still happy with the 1 1/2-2" trigger.
  5. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

Im @ 2" trigger on Commercial lots, but if they want 3" give it to them w/ a higher price because you will be pushing less frequently. It may actually work out better for you if you make sure you pre-salt/deicer.
  6. Stan

Stan Senior Member

So lets say the current rate is $325.00 @ a 2" trigger. Keep in mind I have not raised the rate last season. What would be reasonable based on a 2" and a 3" trigger ?
  7. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

I'd probably raise it 10%, so $32 or $33. That way it isn't too much of a shocker to them since the season has already begun.

I'm @ 1-3" (but usually don't start until 2" to see if it's going to stick or not), 4-6", & an additional $ per inch after that. Do you have something like that already set up in your contracts?
  8. Stan

Stan Senior Member

It's basically a flat rate per push. If there was a substantial amount it would be my descretion to plow more than once. So far it's worked to avoid any sort of heavy machinery removing snow.
  9. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

I state 1-3 inches, depends on how much we are supposed to get as to when we start pushing.
  10. Stan

Stan Senior Member

and after that ?