1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trigger question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by CK82, Oct 19, 2005.

1. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

I am trying to find out if most people have set triggers, such as a 2" trigger for residential properties? With a 2" trigger should I be out salting the drives if there has been only 1" of snow fallen and no more is in the forecast, because 1" of snow can become very slippery and unsafe in bad conditions. Any information regarding triggers for residentials will help.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I have all residential right now. Everybody is on a 3" trigger. That means that I do not plow if it snows less than 3". I use sand/salt mix. I only sand if the customer requests it.

With residential (around here at least) the issue isn't slippery and unsafe conditions. It's what the customer will pay for and they aren't wanting to pay for plowing unless it's absolutely necessary. I've had people want higher triggers - one wanted 12". Then it becomes an issue of what I'm willing to do. Basically, I insist on a 3" trigger and tell them to find someone else if they want it higher.

This might be a little different perspective than you imagined, but hope it helps.
  3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I have a 1 inch trigger on 2 properties and 2 inch on the rest. Mick, I wish we had enough snow here for somebody to want a 12 inch trigger.:nod:
  4. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Zero tolerence ?

What do your contracts state, if it is a zero tolerence contract then that is what it is. No accumulation is acceptable. One inch of snow can be slippery, yes but it is livable as well.
    2" triggers are normal here (midwest ) for residential, some want 1" or 3" triggers. As far as salt goes I have never salted residential so I dont know exactly what to tell you. I dont think you will find people willing to pay for zero tolerence at there homes unless they have big bucks (most with big money are cheap sob's) and they require it for elderly or a doctor on call etc.
    As far as the salt service sell them the salt with per push and then when they call for it. If you expect freezing rain then call and tell them the forecast and say you are salting other propertys and would they like the service as well. Let them know it will be a premium price if you have to just salt there account.Hope this helps a bit.
  5. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

Thanks guys, that answered my question, your completely right a lot of people wont pay for any lesser amount of snow to be plowed, they usually can handle an inch or so on there own.