1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trigger point

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Krieger91, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

I'm not a plow guy, per se. I work for an apartment management company, in student apartments near MSU. I'm a maintenance/grounds guy, so we're responsible for moving snow on the walkways; steps, sidewalks and what have you. We don't do the lots, we sub that out.

My question is this: My supervisor says we have a 1" trigger to salt, and a 2" trigger to push. I'm just wondering if that's a reasonable trigger for student apartments in a busy area? Just seems to be a bit of a high trigger to push in a higher-traffic area.

2. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

I agree with you, but in Michigan you get a bunch of snow and they need to keep it within the budget. when it is below 15 degrees salting(with rock salt) won't work, so plan on shoveling/plowing first then applying chemicals.

3. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

Yeah, I understand that. We don't use rock salt. We use an ice-melting compound. Sort of like salt, but it's not legit salt.

Just seemed like the trigger was a bit high to me for student apartments where we have zero vacants.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

the school budget may be part of the reason

5. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

We're not funded by the school. The company I work for, DTN, owns probably 90% of the apartments in walking distance of MSU. We're funded by rent payments from the tenants which is veerrry high. The zone I work in (closest to MSU, Cedar Village if anyone knows about it) has the highest budget of any DTN area that I'm aware of.

6. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Cedar Village....Been to a few Partys There....Been to a few couch Burnings there too....:nod: