1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

trigger depth vs event plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by sawfish99, Feb 3, 2010.

1. sawfish99

sawfish99 Junior Member

I bought a used plow for my S-10 Blazer back in December to plow my own driveway. Right after that, we got a 15" storm and a few people on my street paid me to plow their drives. I have experience operating a tractor, and find that snow plowing is very similar to the tractor work I have done. I spent about 4 hours practicing in the first storm plowing some friends driveways for free.

I have decided to take on a few customers (about 10 probably) just for a little extra $. I already talked to my insurance company and changed my liability coverage to include the additional risk from plowing. I have searched on the site, done a lot of reading and developed a contract. Now I am ready to offer the contract to a few people.

Here's my confusion. I'm going with a 2" trigger. I understand the theory of plowing with the storm. But what if you only get about 1"? Do you plow once the end of the "event" as long as there is snow on the driveway, or do you leave it if there isn't about 2" there?
  2. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

If its a 2" "trigger" then we wait for 2". If it you only get an inch then we don't plow. If it's closer to 2" say 1.75 or so or is really windy making drifts then we plow most of them.
  3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Your trying to box in mother nature with a contract. Most of my people start at 2 inches. That said if over night we get 2 inches and its going to be 50 degrees that day, most of my people wold raise hell if I plowed. Then again if we get 1.5 inches of heavy wet snow and its going to freeze for a week I better plow it or... After 23 years I know who wants plowing when. Till then if in question call them.